10K Day: Live, While It’s Happening! – August 13

Note for new arrivals: The 10K Day starts on the morning of Thursday, August 13. Your exact starting time is up to you.

WELCOME TO ALL those plucky writers who are participating today!

This is the place to post your check-ins.

If you develop a case of writer’s block—or if you need some extra ideas about what to write—you’ll find links to inspiring resources compiled below.

DON’T FORGET TO HAVE REGULAR BREAKS!

You’ll regret it later (when you’re feeling fried) if you don’t take regular breaks. Even if you’re on fire with your writing, take your scheduled breaks. Every two hours is recommended. Breaks are also for posting check-ins.

Comment moderation will be turned off for the day so your posts should appear right away. If you don’t see yours, try refreshing your screen.

Keep check-ins fairly brief:

1. You can mention your word count if you want to. If you’d rather not, please provide a general comment about your progress thus far.

5. Check-ins only. Please DO NOT post your writing! (The comment section will become unwieldy if people try to post stories/chapters from their novel.)

DON’T FORGET TO log out of forums, Facebook, Twitter, email, etc.

Go gettum, Tigers! – Milli

————–

RULES & TIPS

10K Day: Rules of the Game

Recommended Preparations

Survival Tips, Productivity Tricks

GOT WRITER’S BLOCK? TRY THESE . . .

Use the Whiplash of Your Inner Critic to Make It Across the Drawbridge

Here’s an example of doing the above but with a fictional character instead, by our very own Patti Stafford (10K Day participant). Look for the second entry on this page; it’s entitled writer’s lament.

Four of Milli’s Fun ‘Fertile Material’ prompts

10 Tips for Using the Fertile Material Writing Prompts

New Writing Prompt: Sparkling Beasts & Glimmering Gods

Milli’s Zodiac Writing Prompts based on Sun Signs for Writers by our very own Bev Walton-Porter (10K Day Participant):

Aries / Taurus / Gemini / Cancer / Leo

11 Fun Writing Challenges from Sunflower Ranch (50-word challenges, but you could easily use any of these to write a short story)

MOTIVATIONAL ARTICLES

Writing Dialogue: Don’t Freak Yourself Out

How I Am Overcoming My Inner Critic and My Fear of Success by Lois Eighmy

A Writer Kissed by Inspiration

10 Things to Celebrate About Being a Writer

Rocky Balboa’s Speech to Writers

55 Responses to 10K Day: Live, While It’s Happening! – August 13
  1. Milli Thornton
    August 12, 2009 | 5:24 PM

Testing. . . .

2. Magdalena Ball
    August 12, 2009 | 5:45 PM

Okay, I'm away (7:43am Aus time). My daughter is home sick and there are parent teacher interviews early this afternoon so 10k is unlikely, but I'll do my best! Working on my second novel – working title Black Cow. Today's project is to weave in the voice (through diary entries) of the teen daughter – a first person voice in the midst of an otherwise third person narrative. I won't procrastinate another minute. Thanks! Good luck everyone.

3. Milli Thornton
    August 12, 2009 | 6:00 PM

Welcome, Maggie! So lovely to have a writer from Australia kicking us off again. Best of luck with your unique set of external challenges for the day. Your creative challenge sounds like fun!

4. Lazy Writer
    August 12, 2009 | 9:09 PM

I can't wait! I'll log on tomorrow with my progress!

5. Dee
    August 12, 2009 | 9:57 PM

Hey it's 8.57 pm , the night before. My wee head is buzzing. Going to get some good sleep.
    See y'all in the morning.

6. Magdalena Ball
    August 12, 2009 | 11:04 PM

It's almost 1pm and I'm up to 4k+, but I'm not sure I'll get more than another 500 words out of today. But 4k is a lot for me! It's been a heady day and considering that I had a lot of distractions (but avoided Twitter, FB and my boss), I'm fairly pleased with the results and I think, in addition to the intrinsic value of the words, it has shown me that even with distractions, I can do more words per day than I have been doing – definitely. Good luck guys! This is really a terrific way to get your head more deeply into a large body of work. Really enjoyed it and my characters (especially the one I concentrated on today) are a lot further down the track.

7. Patti Stafford
    August 13, 2009 | 7:34 AM

Awesome job Magdalena. I think we have to convince ourselves mentally that we can work through distractions.

I haven't started today's work yet. It's 6:30 CST, just wanted to check in before I get dressed.

Best of luck to everyone today!

8. Bean
    August 13, 2009 | 7:39 AM

Hi everyone,

I'm here but not sure this is the right place for today. I lost my link.

Marilyn

9. Dee
    August 13, 2009 | 7:46 AM

Wow girls!

I am so proud of us all ready. I have had a cup of coffee, will walk my dogs, have breakfast and will get right on it.

See ya later.

10. Wolfen
    August 13, 2009 | 7:48 AM

Just got back from my run. Making breakfast now and ready to rock it.

11. Milli Thornton
    August 13, 2009 | 7:58 AM

Good Morning, all. Magdalena from Australia has certainly kicked us off to a fantastic start. Looking forward to seeing your reports roll in.

12. Dee
    August 13, 2009 | 8:33 AM

All right peeps!

I have had my oatmeal. Got fresh coffee, three pens. It's about 7.30 am and I'm off. See ya in a couple of hours. Got to catch up with Magdalena.I hope I can.

13. Lazy Writer
    August 13, 2009 | 9:33 AM

I'm starting now. Good luck everyone!

14. Dee
    August 13, 2009 | 9:38 AM

All right. Just got up to brush the coffee nastiness off my teeth. I have done a whole chapter- about 1,060 words.
    My character, Pauline has just made the awful journey back to Ireland.
    Now I need to bring in the second character, Renee.

Big love.

15. Maria
    August 13, 2009 | 9:39 AM

Good morning! I'm just having breakfast–steak, baked potato, salad, and Gatorade. (All stuff from last night.) I've got a couple of things to take care of and then I can get started. Good luck and Happy Writing everybody!

16. Milli Thornton
    August 13, 2009 | 9:54 AM

Welcome, Maria, Lazy Writer. So glad you could join us :~)

17. Patti Stafford
    August 13, 2009 | 10:21 AM

Sounds like everyone is off to a good start. Yay! I've gotten sidetracked–or bushwhacked. I was going to do one tiny little thing before started–an hour later and I finally gave up on the thing.

Now I'm going to eat and clear my head for writing!

Dee, you're off to a good start. Congrats!

Maria, breakfast sounds yummy. I'm having bacon and a slice of cheese.

Good luck everyone!

18. LMEighmy
    August 13, 2009 | 10:22 AM

Had a good lunch-like breakfast, got caught up on my blogs and some e-mails, now I'm ready to rock to Forever and start work on From the Ashes (Zane Greywolf) and Sons of the Wild Frontier: Phoenix Rising (Book One)! 😀

Good luck, everyone! 🙂

Lois

19. Bean
    August 13, 2009 | 10:29 AM

Whew! Hi Dee, wasn't the weather lovely this morning? And we are desperately seeking Susan.

I got off to a good start on Mikey Dog book. We have just taken off the ill-fitting Christmas sweaters and we are moving on to training Mikey to close the door because I am too lazy to get up and do it myself. And I am at 2445. So I did some yoga and eat some Cheerios. But the steak, baked potato and salad sounds better. Now I am going to work just a little with my new horse before it gets too hot. Yes, now I have two. (What was I thinking)

Go for it all and may you all be super inspired!
    Be back soon

20. MPL Creative Resources
    August 13, 2009 | 11:26 AM

I am home sick so figured I'd just as well write. Just crawled out of bed at TEN AM and realized I could write all day long.

I'll start in about 30 minutes and work while I take breaks to do laundry and eat.

The power of writing heals.

Mindy

21. Milli Thornton
    August 13, 2009 | 11:30 AM

Mindy, I'm surprised and excited to have you here. I hope the process of writing does heal you, in terms of your sick day, as well as what you shared with me was your other healing goal.

XOXO

22. judy
    August 13, 2009 | 11:35 AM

Okay, fifteen minutes of yoga, then I'm donning my extremely comfortable superhero spandex and cape and diving in. Thanks for the reminder to check in, Milli! Back in a couple of hours!

23. Captain Jacquelyn Sparrow, Herbal Pirate Queen
    August 13, 2009 | 11:37 AM

Sheesh, I had a really good beginning-of-the-day post, and somehow I managed to not post it. Great beginning, right? A-ny-way, I have been at this since 8:08 in beautiful not-quite-downtown Bulverde, Texas, and am taking my first break to change out of my jammies, get a fresh pot of coffee going, and call my daughter, who is starting her first "real job" in a couple of hours. Sounds like everybody is doing great. Dee, you will be happy to know that Miss Lula is dead and buried! Oh, and I've got about 1,575 words, not that I'm counting or anything.

24. Lazy Writer
    August 13, 2009 | 11:42 AM

2100 words in two hours! That's pretty good for me. I'm taking a break now. I'll check back in later! Happy writing, everyone!

25. Dee
    August 13, 2009 | 12:07 PM

Hey peeps,

Great to hear from you Marilyn and Susan. This segment was like wading through mud for me. Having to fight off te urge to lie down and sleep.
    Susan, great news about Ms Lula.( Does that sound sick)?

Marilyn you are really on a roll.

Lazy Writer, whoo hoo.Does'nt sound lazy to me.

Lots of healing energy sent to MIndy.

Good luck to all!

Okay gotta go, got some bacon frying.I am starving!

26. Patti Stafford
    August 13, 2009 | 12:30 PM

My plans haven't gone as planned, but I've gotten some things tweaked, so they should be out of my hair for awhile.

I haven't written anything, but I will cheer you guys on if nothing else.

CHEERS!! Everyone is making great progress, but don't forget it's also about the love of writing, so if your morning has been like mine–just revel in the love of the craft!

Break a pencil!

27. LMEighmy
    August 13, 2009 | 12:44 PM

I've reached 2,384 words, so far, but I've still got a ways to go. I'm just taking a break to check in and get something to eat, then I'll continue where I left off.

Glad to see everyone's doing well! Keep up the great work! See you again soon,

Lois

28. Bean
    August 13, 2009 | 1:05 PM

Ok, did the horse thing and sat down to put a few words down before my shower, but lo and behold, I was struck by a lightning bolt and banged out another 4000 words. All these memories are flooding back. Pat and Mike rule the Pet Inn their new boarding facility and have captured the heart of everyone. I'm now at 6388.

Shower, grocery store, bank, food. Maybe not in that order.

I'll be back ASAP. Hang in there all.

29. Wolfen
    August 13, 2009 | 1:15 PM

Got about 2000 words done in the screenplay. Gonna take a break to play a little "Mr. Driller" and get back to work in a half hour.

30. Lazy Writer
    August 13, 2009 | 1:36 PM

Up to 3,000. I had to stop for an hour for some personal business. I'll be school suppy shopping for the next two hours, so I probably won't check back in for a while. Good luck to everyone else! Keep on writing.

31. MPL Creative Resources
    August 13, 2009 | 1:42 PM

Word Count: 0
    I've finally begun. My plants were dying from inattention so I watered them then had a sandwich for lunch.

Milli, yes, writing is healing for bodies as well as for minds. Thanks for letting me hop in.

~ Mindy

32. judy
    August 13, 2009 | 2:03 PM

Just did a quick calculation of my first one and a half-ish hours. At this rate, 10,000 will take roughly 14 more hours.

Maybe the superhero spandex was a bad idea…

Undaunted, I write on…

33. Captain Jacquelyn Sparrow
    August 13, 2009 | 2:13 PM

I'm back after a quick lunch with the hubby and a trip to the mailbox–nothing interesting there, in the mailbox, I mean. Marilyn, you are burning it up! Move over, Marley!(Who are you going to get to play you when Milli turns your book into a screenplay?) I am so proud of you. Like Dee, I was walking through mud during this last segment–got just a bit over 1000 words, bringing my total up to 2715. I think I am going to write for awhile on something "silly" instead of what I think I ought to be writing. Maybe it will get the juices flowing again. Congrats to all.

34. Dee
    August 13, 2009 | 2:30 PM

Hey,

I have been wrestling with my work and just about squeezed around 800 words. I made the mistake of setting my head down on the pillow in the breakfast nook and 45 mins later woke up with a creak in my neck.Got up to get a glass of fizzy water and spilled it all over the bench and table. Now with a fresh glass, dry pants and a bowl of flax seed chips I am going to push through this wall and write some more.

Marilyn are you some kind of super-woman! I mean horses, banks, and in between writing that amount is amazing to me. You rock!

Okay, since I have no inspiration I am going to type up what I have done. Sometimes this releases stuff for me.

Let's go get it !

35. Milli Thornton
    August 13, 2009 | 3:05 PM

So proud of all of you!

Judy, I've definitely had my own 10K Days where to reach the magic word count was calculated at 14 hours based on current pace. And Dee Dee, I've done that same Grinchy word squeeze too. But go ahead and sneer that one in the face, ladies. You're here, you're doing it, and raspberries with plenty of spray to anybody who says that ain't good enough! ;~D

36. J. Francis
    August 13, 2009 | 3:15 PM

For some reason my posts are not showing up, anyway I have finished the guest blog and a travel article.Have a little over 3000 words so far. not bad for getting such a late start.

37. Wolfen
    August 13, 2009 | 4:02 PM

Only up to about 3000… in a brainstorming mode at the moment. Took a 30 minute nap and getting back into it.

38. Dee
    August 13, 2009 | 4:38 PM

Well,

My husband is home and we are off to pick up his niece (who is visiting from New York) out for dinner.Maybe the change of scenery will help me with how to move forward in my book. I am struggling with inserting some historical background information to give the readers a flavor of the times. But lord above, it's hard to do.

Maybe some good food will stir up the brain cells.

Will check in later. I have three chapters written today and I am pleased with that.

See y'all later.

39. Captain Jacquelyn Sparrow
    August 13, 2009 | 4:40 PM

OK, all you super-writers, I tried to work on a second writing project after the first one floundered. That one floundered even faster, so I sat down and typed out 1500 words in really awful rhyme (I know awful when I read awful) about why I can't seem to write anything today. Now since I've whined to myself, I'm going back to the first project to see if maybe I can pull out a few more words kicking and screaming from my brain. Marilyn is inspiring me, and I'm real glad Dee has dry pants on now.

40. LMEighmy
    August 13, 2009 | 4:44 PM

I've finished working on the Zane Greywolf novel for today. My current word count is 5,268. I'm taking a break to shower and fix dinner. I'll get back to work after we eat. I'll be working on the western! 🙂

Keep up the great work, everyone! You're all doing great! 😀

Lois

41. Tracy
    August 13, 2009 | 5:33 PM

Okay, off to a slow start with slightly less than 1K, but it's been a busy day and I'm a night owl writer anyhow 🙂 Check ya later!

42. judy
    August 13, 2009 | 6:03 PM

Okay, I'm getting better at this, but my slow start is going to make it hard to hit 10k. (Especially because I just got invited to go out for a glass of wine in a few hours!)

Better dive back in and write furiously. (I'm having fun, Milli, challenging myself to let go of the perfectionist and write shitty first drafts.) =)

43. Captain Jacquelyn Sparrow, Very Tired Herbal Pirate Queen
    August 13, 2009 | 6:44 PM

OK, I am hanging it up for today. My darling is cooking something up downstairs and it smells delicious, so I wouldn't be able to concentrate very much on writing anyway with my stomach growling for equal time. I went back to my first project and got out another 1000 words, give or take a few, and ended up with a total of 5581, which is about the same amount I did on my first 10K Day. I guess I am a fast reader but a slow writer. Still, I worked through a stalled place so that is good and I am happy with myself. I'll actually have something to show Dee when we meet on Saturday to drink coffee, catch up, and–oh, yes–discuss our writing. I am proud of everybody. How about that Marilyn burning up the countryside with Mikey Dog stories? And Judy, I didn't say it before, but I love your superhero writer spandex and cape. It even figured into my truly awful doggerel about why I couldn't write today. I'll check in later to read everybody's final comments. Thanks, Milli, this was fun–frustrating at times but fun!

44. LMEighmy
    August 13, 2009 | 7:00 PM

Okay. Back to work! 🙂

45. Patti Stafford
    August 13, 2009 | 7:00 PM

I didn't accomplish much today either. Going to the sofa with pen and paper to brainstorm.

Everyone is doing awesome–even those of us who aren't getting words out–at least we're having fun. 🙂

46. Bean
    August 13, 2009 | 7:05 PM

Back again. I am really sick of this heat. Got lunch, then the electrician came by early so delt with him, outside work, so sweating again, came in, cooled off again, went to bank, that's all I could manage, came home to cool off again, took a nap, showered, fed all the animals, sweat again, I hate that after a shower, cooled off again with a glass of cool tea. Now I'm getting hungry again, what is it with food? I have one more Mikey dog story that I want to finish, maybe two but it may get me to 10k.

Our Susan? I didn't realize, but in hind site, I get it Miss. Sparrow. Ha. You crack me up. Dee I'm sure your creative juices will be flowing when you get back from dinner. I can just hear your sweet little accent telling your Irish tales. Well done both of you. And I like the idea of Milli writing the screen play and how about you editing it for me?

I'm tired and I'd really like to quit but I'm going to hang in there. Milli you have such great stamina. I don't know how you stay up so late on these 10k days. You are inspiring.

Hang in there everyone. I'm still thinking about that steak and potato.

47. Maria
    August 13, 2009 | 7:24 PM

Okay, I'm back after several hours hiatus. I've finally finished the video blog!!! Word count from that project = 762. But it's done!

My husband's cooking fried chicken, mashed taters, and mixed veggies and it smells goooood!
    So I'm taking a break for a bit to pick up around the house (feeling guilty) and I'll pick back up later with some actual writing. Yea!

48. J. Francis
    August 13, 2009 | 7:48 PM

Okay I ended up with 3987 for the day. Hey; it;s better than last month. Research slowed me down.

49. Bean
    August 13, 2009 | 8:38 PM

I did it. I made it to 10,461. I feel exhausted. I'm going to take a break and eat something. I may start again but we are getting close to where Pat looses his life from a deadly snake bite. I'm not sure I'm up for that after this crazy day. But I'll be checking back with every one. And who knows I may write some other lighter stuff leading up to that. My last story was of us renting a condo that didn't allow pets, and of course we had Pat and Mike with us. It was about midnight and we used the keys given to us by the real estate lady to get in and I put "the boys" in the bathroom until we got all our luggage in only to find out there was a couple asleep in the bedroom. Well, they weren't asleep for long. And all I could say is " Mickey, there's a man in here!" As he was chasing me down the hallway in his underwear cursing at me. True story, ya'll.

Every one is so much fun and you are all great. Hang in there and happy writing. I'll check you out later. Steak and baked potato. Yum.

50. judy
    August 13, 2009 | 9:06 PM

I'm outta gas! 5, 747 words. (Bean kicked my ass!) It's not 10,000, but it's more than I've ever written in a day. And seriously, if I'd written all day with the abandon that I wrote during the last half… I might have made it. (Letting go of the critic was not as easy as I hoped it would be. I deleted a lot of words… maybe 4000?) =)

Next time!

Milli, thank you so much for being such a source of encouragement and inspiration. This was a great experience!