10K Day: Live, While It’s Happening! – Sept 16 and 19

What's your story? Use the 10K Day for Writers to explore your storytelling powers

Image courtesy ivelin and Stockfresh

WELCOME TO ALL those plucky writers who are participating this week!

This is the place to post your check-ins for Wed, Sept 16 and/or Saturday, Sept 19.

If you’re participating from overseas, feel free to start according to your own time zone. This check-in page is posted the day before the USA event for that special purpose. 🙂

DON’T FORGET TO TAKE REGULAR BREAKS!

You’ll regret it later (when you’re feeling fried) if you don’t take regular breaks. Even if you’re on fire with your writing, take your scheduled breaks.

Every two hours is recommended. Breaks are also for posting check-ins.

TIP: If you don’t see your comment right away after posting, try refreshing your screen.

1. You can mention your word count if you want to. If you’d rather not, please comment about your progress thus far.

DON’T FORGET TO log out of forums, Facebook, Twitter, email, etc.

Go gettum, Tigers! – Jenny & Milli

12 Responses to 10K Day: Live, While It’s Happening! – Sept 16 and 19
  1. Lori Guenter (@lorigg)
    Twitter: lorigg
    September 16, 2015 | 10:15 AM

Not sure what I am working on. Trying still to get back into writing. I keep finding excuses not to. Started today with a free write as my hubby is encouraging me to keep creating. The teens have my late afternoon and evening booked so I will aim for around 5K today. I am hoping that will word play, my characters will start talking to me again.

• Milli Thornton
      Twitter: fearofwriting
      September 16, 2015 | 10:51 AM

Hi Lori,

Glad to see you here. Looks like it’s just you and me today. I’ll check in about an hour from now, after I finish some client work and eat some breakfast.

Good luck getting warmed up! 🙂

Milli

2. Milli Thornton
    Twitter: fearofwriting
    September 16, 2015 | 12:37 PM

Finally getting started. Frustrating to have half my day blown away by other commitments but today it couldn’t be helped. (Plus I’ve still got the Saturday 10K.)

I’ve got a cup of coffee next to me and I’m opening my novel. I’m all set to enjoy myself. 🙂

• Lori Guenter (@lorigg)
      Twitter: lorigg
      September 16, 2015 | 2:40 PM

Sounds like a good way to start. Hopefully the second half of the day is better than the first.

3. Lori Guenter (@lorigg)
    Twitter: lorigg
    September 16, 2015 | 2:43 PM

Still looking for my voice or my characters voice. Instead of fiction writing, I wrote a blog piece spurred by some current events. Had an extended lunch break and am about to head back for a bit more writing. My 5k goal may yet get revised down.

• Milli Thornton
      Twitter: fearofwriting
      September 16, 2015 | 2:55 PM

Yay for the blog piece. And good luck finding your character’s voice. I’m not going to get anywhere near 5K myself today. But at least we showed up and wrote! 😀

4. Milli Thornton
    Twitter: fearofwriting
    September 16, 2015 | 2:56 PM

Wrote 1,836 words and finished another chapter. That’s it for today, unfortunately. I have to take a quick lunch break and then coach a client. After that I’ve got another appointment, so probably no hope of getting back to the writing today. But I enjoyed the time I did get to spend on it.

5. Milli Thornton
    Twitter: fearofwriting
    September 19, 2015 | 12:29 PM

Spent a few hours this morning reworking my latest two chapters for greater impact. I did add some new words but won’t be stopping to count those.

Going to push on now to write the next chapter. 🙂

6. Milli Thornton
    Twitter: fearofwriting
    September 19, 2015 | 3:53 PM

I’ve written 2,620 words so far and I’m having a blast working on my novel.

Too bad I’m the only one here, but that’s OK. I originally started this website for selfish reasons: so I could have at least one 10k day a month. And if anyone else joined me: Bonus!

• Milli Thornton
      Twitter: fearofwriting
      September 19, 2015 | 7:20 PM

Wrote another 1,262 words, in between taking a walk to freshen my brain and eating some dinner.

Total of 3,882 words so far. Plus whatever my word count was for the chapter expansions this morning.

I’m still enjoying it and the story is flowing so I’m planning to continue.

• Milli Thornton
        Twitter: fearofwriting
        September 19, 2015 | 8:46 PM

Another 2700 words, for a total of 6,582. This is the best 10k day I’ve had in a while. Plus, I’m enjoying the writing immensely.

• Milli Thornton
          Twitter: fearofwriting
          September 19, 2015 | 8:57 PM

After looking over my chapter outlines, I’ve decided to call it a night. I’m a roll but starting to get very tired. And I’d need to start a new chapter to carry on. So I think I’ll get some sleep and come back to it refreshed next time.