10K Day: Live, While It’s Happening! – Nov 11 and 14

What's your story? Use the 10K Day for Writers to explore your storytelling powers

Image courtesy ivelin and Stockfresh

WELCOME TO ALL those plucky writers who are participating this week!

This is the place to post your check-ins for Wed, Nov 11 and/or Saturday, Nov 14.

If you’re participating from overseas, feel free to start according to your own time zone. This check-in page is posted the day before the USA event for that special purpose. 🙂

DON’T FORGET TO TAKE REGULAR BREAKS!

You’ll regret it later (when you’re feeling fried) if you don’t take regular breaks. Even if you’re on fire with your writing, take your scheduled breaks.

Every two hours is recommended. Breaks are also for posting check-ins.

TIP: If you don’t see your comment right away after posting, try refreshing your screen.

1. You can mention your word count if you want to. If you’d rather not, please comment about your progress thus far.

DON’T FORGET TO log out of forums, Facebook, Twitter, email, etc.

Go gettum, Tigers! – Jenny & Milli

37 Responses to 10K Day: Live, While It’s Happening! – Nov 11 and 14
  1. Milli Thornton
    Twitter: millivrstravels
    November 10, 2015 | 3:21 PM

*** WELCOME TO THE 10K DAY! ***

I hope you have a wonderful day of writing.

~ Milli

• Milli
      November 11, 2015 | 11:42 AM

My apologies to anyone who’s been having trouble accessing the site. My host’s server has been having problems since yesterday. The server allows for intermittent connection.

• Lois
        November 11, 2015 | 12:36 PM

I had a tough time getting in. Now it’s running a bit slow, but it’s letting me post, so no biggie. Thanks for the update! 🙂

2. Milli Thornton
    November 11, 2015 | 11:45 AM

Getting a late start after some unforeseen interruptions. It’s 10:45 and just settling at Starbucks. The place is packed and very noisy. Good thing I’ve got my headphones with me.

3. Lori Guenter (@lorigg)
    Twitter: lorigg
    November 11, 2015 | 11:48 AM

Hopefully the host gets things worked out.

I started the day with my journal then moved on the adjusting my NaNoWriMo story based on ideas that came out of the journaling and things my characters have been telling me I have wrong. I am at about 1600 words and have just finished a snack break –pumpkin bagel and some pomegranate. Time for another burst of writing. Hopefully my next check in will have another chapter completed.

• Milli Thornton
      November 11, 2015 | 12:43 PM

Lori, 1600 words is awesome. How inspiring to see your first update coming in so strong. Your choice of snack sounds like good brain food. Happy writing for your next burst . . .

4. Lois
    November 11, 2015 | 11:53 AM

There you are! 😀 I’ve been having a devil of a time trying to open the page.

I’m finally here, and doing sprints over on WANATribe. So far this morning, I’ve written 3,227 words! 😀

I’m revisiting an older story I’ve been wanting to rewrite. It’s fantasy, and the hero is a performer who’s just learned to be an assassin so he can rescue his father and brothers (with the help of three companions) and assassinate the man responsible.

I’ve already drank two small pots of tea, too: decaf double bergamot Earl Grey and Guyusa & Rooibos. Yum. 🙂

Now I’m off to start the next chapter. Chapter 13. I need to figure out how to bring my characters some seriously bad luck. 😀

• Milli Thornton
      November 11, 2015 | 12:49 PM

3,227 words, Lois. Snoopy happy dance! So great to have our 10K mascot back on board and posting blissful word counts.

Wow, assassins. In the fantasy genre. Sounds like intense stuff. Must be very liberating to write! I’m sure you’ll find some amazing way to bring your character some seriously bad luck. Can’t wait to hear how that goes. 😀

• Lois
        November 11, 2015 | 1:20 PM

I love Snoopy happy dances! 😀

Kai was probably the first character in the fantasy genre that I really got serious about. He’s gone through a lot of changes since he first came to mind, and he’s getting better all the time. 🙂

I’m about to eat lunch, then I’ll do another sprint. I’ll post my new word count then. I can’t wait to see how it goes, either!

5. Lois
    November 11, 2015 | 12:35 PM

Thanks for the update about the servers, Milli. Good to know!

My most recent sprint only garnered me about 468 words. I’m a little disappointed in that, since I can usually get almost twice that in 30 minutes, but I had to hunt up some names I’d forgotten, and then I had to name a southern sea, so it’s all good. 🙂

I’m about to take a break for a shower and lunch, then I’m going to do some more sprinting. I can’t wait! 😀

• Milli Thornton
      November 11, 2015 | 12:52 PM

Lois, glad you saw the note about the server. Whenever you can’t get the page to load, just come back a little later. I’m planning to change hosts so this will never happen again. It’s been driving me nuts on all of my sites for two days!

• Lois
        November 11, 2015 | 1:22 PM

Well, I didn’t see it the first two or three times I tried to load the page, but when it finally loaded, I saw it then. 😉

Good luck with the change in hosts. I know that kind of thing can be very frustrating — and time consuming! I hope it goes smoothly. 🙂

6. Milli Thornton
    November 11, 2015 | 1:24 PM

Finally made it to 1,027 doing warm-up exercises. I wish I wasn’t suddenly hungry because now I’m ready to start the next chapter in my book. Darn. Oh, well. Off to order something from the Starbucks counter.

• Lois
      November 11, 2015 | 1:27 PM

Yay for surpassing 1K! 😀

• Milli Thornton
        November 11, 2015 | 4:39 PM

I’m on 2,787 now and I’ve finished a chapter. Things are going slowly today but it was fun to write.

• Milli Thornton
          November 11, 2015 | 4:43 PM

I’m finishing on 4,026 words. I have an appointment so sadly I have to finish early today.

(My previous comment took a long time to get through the server hang-up. So by the timestamp it looks like I’m superwoman to write 1,239 words in only a few minutes. LOL!)

Bye for now. See you next time!

-Milli

• Lois
            November 11, 2015 | 4:51 PM

Yay, word counts! 😀

Good luck with the appointment, Milli.

See you on Saturday! 😀

• Milli Thornton
              November 11, 2015 | 7:34 PM

Thanks, Lois! I won’t be at the Saturday 10K Day, boohoo. I’ll be moving from Santa Fe to Albuquerque so no time to write that day. Bummer. But I hope you enjoy it! 🙂

• Lois
                November 11, 2015 | 7:43 PM

I always enjoy it. 🙂

Good luck with the move!

7. Lois
    November 11, 2015 | 4:49 PM

I did a “final” sprint. I was going to stop after starting a new chapter (so I’d have something to go on in the morning when I do more sprints with the WANATribe peeps), but I wound up finishing it. So much for that plan. 😉

On the bright side, my final word count for today is — (drumroll, please!) — 6,577!

Tonight, I’m going to try to jot down some notes on where I want to take this tomorrow. I’ll use Evernote on my phone so it will be online when I boot up the computer.

Soon, it will be dinnertime. We’ll have leftover turkey and baked sweet potatoes. Hopefully, there will be some avocado somewhere in there, too. 🙂

Good luck to those of you still writing! 😀

• Milli Thornton
      November 11, 2015 | 7:37 PM

Cheers for your 6,577 words for the day! Awesome word count. You sound very upbeat and I’m happy you had a good day.

Leftover turkey and baked sweet potatoes sounds like a good feast for the end of a writing day (I love leftovers). I’m having leftover chili con carne. And then a hot shower to wash away all that honest sweat from writing two chapters. LOL!

8. Lois
    November 11, 2015 | 7:47 PM

Good day? This was a GREAT day! Thank you for hosting these events! 😀

Enjoy the chili and shower. Sounds like the perfect ending to a perfect day. 🙂

9. Lori Guenter (@lorigg)
    Twitter: lorigg
    November 11, 2015 | 9:02 PM

Great word count Lois.

I tried to get on earlier and give an update but the page was acting up so I wrote some more then tried again, then relaxed with the family. One last try and it seems it will let me give an update. I finished at around 5500 words. Wrote myself into a bit of a corner and now I have to figure out how two characters are going to rejoin the crew. Off to read a bit of someone else’s work then sleep on it.

I’ll be back on Saturday.

• Milli Thornton
      November 11, 2015 | 9:07 PM

Lori, thanks for persisting to make your update. And congrats on the 5500 words. What a cool number. Classy-looking digits as well as a great writing effort.

I trust that reading someone else’s work, relaxing with the family and sleeping on it will allow that corner you got into to unkink itself. I also find walking helps.

Glad you can return on Saturday. I have other obligations that day but I’ll be watching the updates. Hope you enjoy it.

Milli

• Lois
      November 12, 2015 | 8:50 AM

Thanks, Lori. You did great, too! 🙂

I hope you can work your way out of the corner. I find that freewriting helps me, but not everyone is the same. 😉

See you on Saturday! 😀

10. Estrella Azul
    November 12, 2015 | 8:52 AM

Hello, happy post 10K Day!!!
    Hope everyone’s doing well, and wrote up a storm yesterday!

I barely had the time to breathe yesterday had so much work on my plate (left the office after 6:30pm), but I counted the words today and am at 5656! That seems like a lot, because I feel like I could’ve done even more…
    This is noninclusive of some content editing that I did where I simplified/rephrased sentences in one of the Help Area pages I’m currently working on.

It’s interesting to see it in word count how much I did in a day, because I never thought of counting “work words” before.
    Thanks, Milli, for being curious, or I would’ve completely forgotten to count them!

• Milli Thornton
      November 12, 2015 | 10:18 AM

Estrella, thanks for reporting in. 5,656 words written at work is fabulous!

Your job is sounding very successful. It certainly keeps you busy. Hope you’ll have some energy left over for your own writing on Saturday. 🙂

I won’t be here on Saturday (moving from a housesitting job in Santa Fe to staying at Bonnie’s apartment in Albuquerque for 2 weeks) so I wanted to let you know: my host has been having problems with its server. If the page doesn’t load right away, wait a while and come back later. And I hope by Saturday that annoying problem will be over.

<3 Milli

• Estrella Azul
        November 17, 2015 | 1:54 AM

Yes, my job certainly keeps me busy 🙂 and it was interesting to find out just how busy.

Hope your move went smoothly! Give your daughter and grandson hugs from me!

I totally flaked on Saturday… as much as I would’ve loved nothing more, I ended up only writing a couple of e-mails and my blog post for yesterday.
        I just couldn’t bear the thought of cleaning after 6/7/8PM on any more weeknights so left it until Saturday and finished cleaning the apartment then 🙁 (and I still have the windows waiting for me…)

• Lois
      November 12, 2015 | 1:09 PM

Awesome word count! 😀

• Estrella Azul
        November 17, 2015 | 1:34 AM

Thank you! It was good to count these, too, to give me an idea of how much I actually do around here at work 😉

11. Genia
    November 12, 2015 | 9:36 PM

I forgot to post yesterday!

I wrote 3,102 words on Wednesday — which took me over 10k for my Nano novel! I ended the day with a total word count for the month of 10,455. VERY happy about that! 🙂

• Milli Thornton
      November 12, 2015 | 10:32 PM

Genia, thanks for coming back to file your report. 3,102 words on Wednesday and a total word count for the month of 10,455 is all kinds of awesome. You deserve to be happy about that! 🙂

I hope you’ll join us again for future 10K Days.

Happy Writing ~ Milli

12. Milli Thornton
    November 14, 2015 | 12:57 AM

WELCOME, SATURDAY WRITERS! I hope you all have a fabulous writing day. (And I hope my web host’s server behaves itself this time. But if the page doesn’t load for you, wait a while and try again later.)

13. Lois
    November 14, 2015 | 8:59 AM

Not sure when I’ll get started, but I will be back to post an update when I do my first writing sprint. 🙂

Good luck to everyone writing today! 😀

• Lois
      November 14, 2015 | 10:40 AM

I’ve finally had breakfast, and I’m ready to write. I’ll be doing some 30-minute sprints over on WANATribe. Can’t wait! 😀

• Lois
        November 14, 2015 | 2:30 PM

I’ve surpassed my goal for today. I added 98 words to yesterday’s chapter, then I wrote two new chapters, adding 2,133 and 1,415 words respectively, for a daily total of 3,646.

My Nano Novel’s total is now 38,259 words. 😀

I’ve had to write fight scenes today, which tend to slow me down. For now, it’s all good.

Time for another caffeine pill (chocolate covered coffee bean) and cup of decaf double bergamot Earl Grey tea! 🙂

And that’s it for me for today. It’s been a good couple of days (10K Day-wise). I look forward to next month’s event!

14. Lori Guenter (@lorigg)
    Twitter: lorigg
    November 14, 2015 | 3:17 PM

I am having a very slow start on today’s writing. Car shopping has taken the place of writing all morning and part of the afternoon. (Ugh why did the wolf have to cross the road?)

Off to try to recover what is left of the day with a scaled down goal.