10K Day: Live, While It’s Happening! – June 22 and 25

What's your story? Use the 10K Day for Writers to explore your storytelling powers

Image courtesy ivelin and Stockfresh

WELCOME TO ALL those plucky writers who are participating this week!

This is the place to post your check-ins for Wed, June 22 and/or Saturday, June 25.

If you’re participating from overseas, feel free to start according to your own time zone. This check-in page is posted the day before the USA event for that special purpose. 🙂

DON’T FORGET TO TAKE REGULAR BREAKS!

You’ll regret it later (when you’re feeling fried) if you don’t take regular breaks. Even if you’re on fire with your writing, take your scheduled breaks.

Every two hours is recommended. Breaks are also for posting check-ins.

TIP: If you don’t see your comment right away after posting, try refreshing your screen.

1. You can mention your word count if you want to. If you’d rather not, please comment about your progress thus far.

DON’T FORGET TO log out of forums, Facebook, Twitter, email, etc.

Go gettum, Tigers! – Jenny & Milli

13 Responses to 10K Day: Live, While It’s Happening! – June 22 and 25
  1. Dana Pittman
    Twitter: danapittman
    June 22, 2016 | 7:28 AM

I hope I’m posting in the right place. I’m here. I’m playing chauffeur to my daughter, so I’ll edit while waiting around with her.

My goal for today is patchwork on my outline. I’ll check in again later. Happy Writing!!!

• Lois
      June 22, 2016 | 7:57 AM

Oh, yeah! Got to write a blog entry, too! 😉

2. Lois
    June 22, 2016 | 7:57 AM

I’m here! I’m here! 😀 I had to get beans started for dinner, but they’re in the slow cooker now, and I’m ready to start working.

I’m going to start by working on a character bio, then I’ll do some brainstorming and freewriting for my pirate fantasy series. I’ve got reference books beside me in case I need them.

I don’t have an exact word count goal. Just somewhere between 3-4K, unless my hands can handle more.

I’ve got my salt water (filtered spring water and Celtic sea salt) and some seaweed snacks for fuel. (Yes, I was a mermaid in a past life. Why do you ask? ;)) I’ve also had a glass of freshly squeezed grapefruit juice, a serving of steel cut oatmeal (no sweeteners), and half a chicken breast (all for breakfast). I’m ready to kick it!

I’ll check in again later. 😉

3. Estrella Azul
    June 22, 2016 | 8:01 AM

Hello, I’m near the end of my workday here, and my word count is at 4470 words. I’ve also edited a lot, so I’m not counting the minor edits.
    But wow, it was a pretty productive day. I must count my words more often!

4. Lois
    June 22, 2016 | 10:02 AM

I started the day with a new blog entry (I’d forgotten about it when I posted what I planned to do earlier). My word count is 1,160, and if you’re interested in reading about the main hero of my pirate series, Tales of the Red Falcon, you can find it on my website, here: http://www.loiseighmy.com/blog/introduction-to-captain-sahmi-zamada. 🙂

Now I’ll work on that bio. 😉

5. Lori Guenter (@lorigg)
    Twitter: lorigg
    June 22, 2016 | 10:35 AM

My day has been tossed into an upheaval as I had unexpected appointments added to the day. After dropping my teens off to write a final, I set the timer and set to work. 2 half hour sessions later with a brief stretch break in the middle, I at about 1750 words (written longhand so at best I can have an estimate). This includes some journaling to warm up,a 53 word story that needs to be edited down to 53 words still and two family history essays that need to have the blanks filled in to make sure I have the right date. My short break is almost up my next half hour will hopefully be progress on a short story assuming I can shift gears mentally. Then the chaos will begin and writing will have to be fit into the breaks.

6. Lois
    June 22, 2016 | 12:02 PM

I’ve revised the character bio, taking some stuff out, putting other stuff in. This gave me 627 more words, so my total, so far, is 1,787.

I’m going to take a shower, walk the doggie, then get back to it. 🙂

And I had lunch. The other half of a chicken breast and some chick pea veggie salad. Still have my salt water here, too!

7. Dana Pittman
    Twitter: danapittman
    June 22, 2016 | 1:09 PM

I’m checkin in. I am not counting words but I’ve read through my current manuscript (about 70 pages). I’ve noted necessary changes. I’ve also worked on my MC goals.

I’m taking a break for an hour or so. Then I’ll focus on my outline.

8. Lois
    June 22, 2016 | 3:45 PM

I’ve worked on a brainstorm and came up with the big picture story arc, the storyline that will encompass the entire series. The novels will happen within the confines of this overall story arc.

This gave me 1,904 words.

My total for today is 3,691 words.

I’m done. I need to go start dinner now. But I’ve printed out my stuff, and I’m putting them in my binder. I plan to think on the individual novels now, see how they’ll have to change to fit this bigger story arc. Fun stuff! 🙂

9. JM Merchant
    June 22, 2016 | 5:51 PM

Congratulations to all of you who managed to get words on pages or screen today, you are all amazing!

I have totally failed to focus and write anything today, but the fanfic I’m writing has been simmering away in the back of my head for the last few hours, it know’s how it wants to be told, I just need to get it on screen. So, I’m challenging myself to a 45 min sprint before bed, to get as many words down as possible.

Any positive vibes any of you can spare would be greatly welcomed, I’ve got people waiting to read this and I don’t want to let them down.

10. Dana Pittman
    Twitter: danapittman
    June 22, 2016 | 5:54 PM

I’m done for the night. The day was a success.

– I worked on two editing projects.
    – I read through my manuscript and made notes for reworking my outline.
    – I worked on MC goals.

That’s it! Thanks Milli.

11. JM Merchant
    June 22, 2016 | 7:09 PM

A bit longer than 45 mins, not complaining at all, I managed 800 words in however long it actually was. Wahoo! Thank you for running this again Milli!

Hope everyone else has had a great day.

12. Lori Guenter (@lorigg)
    Twitter: lorigg
    June 25, 2016 | 5:06 PM

Checking in for the late Saturday shift. I finished Wednesday with about 3K words in spite of the chaos. Today had a track meet to watch and some other requirements from the teens. I did manage to hide away in my writing corner and get about 1200 words out onto the page between some journalling and some work on an essay. Now the house is empty and I plan to add to the writing for the day.