10K Day: Live, While It’s Happening! – June 22 and 25

Image Copyright © Tracy Mangold aka @InkyTwig. Thanks, Tracy!

WELCOME TO ALL those plucky writers who are participating this week!

This is the place to post your check-ins for Wed., June 22 and/or Saturday, June 25.

To learn more about this event, check the 10K Day section (see blog menu above).

DON’T FORGET TO TAKE REGULAR BREAKS!

You’ll regret it later (when you’re feeling fried) if you don’t take regular breaks. Even if you’re on fire with your writing, take your scheduled breaks.

Every two hours is recommended. Breaks are also for posting check-ins.

TIP: If you don’t see your comment right away after posting, try refreshing your screen.

1. You can mention your word count if you want to. If you’d rather not, please provide a general comment about your progress thus far.

DON’T FORGET TO log out of forums, Facebook, Twitter, email, etc.

Go gettum, Tigers! – Milli

164 Responses to 10K Day: Live, While It’s Happening! – June 22 and 25
  1. @fearofwriting
    June 21, 2011 | 8:24 PM

❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENTS ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤

I’m dedicating this month’s 10K Days to one of our regulars, Kate Marillat (@BeWriteOn) of the UK. Kate recently became a mom. On June 8 she tweeted, “Kieran David Patrick Harris swam into this world on 6/6 at 22:47 GMT.” In another tweet, she said, “Amazing what the body can do—home birth using nothing but a water pool, hypnobirthing and EFT. I am woman.”

Congratulations, Kate!

Also, I encourage you to check out our Healthy Writers Series. We always publish the latest Healthy Writers post right before the 10K Days to give you extra incentive to take care of yourself while you write. This month we have 10K Day regulars, Lois Eighmy and Catherine Greti, bringing you inspiration both visual and written:

Healthy Writers Series: Yummy, Snacky Salads

As Kate says, Be Write On! ~ Milli

• purplekangaroos
      June 22, 2011 | 9:42 AM

Kate ~

Congratulations on your healthy birth of Kieran!! Years age I attended at two water births of my friend…it’s an awesome experience!!

Well done!

catherine

2. Patti Stafford
    Twitter: pattistafford
    June 22, 2011 | 9:02 AM

Congratulations Kate! You are definitely WOMAN!

I’ve been piddling around with EFT. Maybe I should dig a bit deeper into it. 😉

And on a similar note, due to womanhood (bleh!) I doubt I will be participating today. I wanted to age like fine wine, but I think I must have gotten bad grapes. LOL.

Best of luck to everyone!
    ~Patti

• @fearofwriting
      June 22, 2011 | 10:52 AM

Pattikins, sorry to hear about the womanhood blues. Hope you have a westful and wewaxing day and feel better soon!

xo

• Patti Larsen
      June 22, 2011 | 11:10 AM

EFT kicks it. LOVE it. Most amazing technique I’ve ever used–also love NLP. Keep at the EFT–it will take you where you need to go.

• Patti Stafford
        Twitter: pattistafford
        June 22, 2011 | 7:05 PM

Thanks Patti,

I like the way you spell your name. 🙂

I will keep at EFT. I’m also taking a certification for NLP, but haven’t worked on it in a few weeks. I’ve been doing more website work lately, but need to get back on MY track.

If you have a good resource for EFT, please share. 🙂

Thanks,
        ~Patti

3. vicki lathom
    June 22, 2011 | 9:06 AM

I’ve procrastinated enough. I’m up and staggering. Spent the last two nights on our boat, trying to get away from reality. Now I’m back, sorta.

By the way, what’s PLR?

Vicki

4. Milliver's Travels
    Twitter: millivrstravels
    June 22, 2011 | 9:13 AM

I’m here sipping some coffee before I start. Caught up on my sleep last night – and also the muggy weather got relieved by some cool rain. I’ve got lots of good stuff to work on – some journaling first and then some new stories for Milliver’s Travels. So conditions are ripe to have a good experience today. 🙂

5. Square-Peg Karen
    Twitter: SquarePegKaren
    June 22, 2011 | 9:17 AM

Congrats Kate & welcome to the world, little Kieran (what a wonderful way to enter!!).

Wellllll, I’m getting started over 3 hours later than I planned (snooze button be damned!) – but I’m trying to (rock and) roll with it.

Hope everyone has a bountifully productive day today (productive by your own definition).

To the writing!

• @fearofwriting
      June 22, 2011 | 10:54 AM

Darn that pesky snooze button! How do these dumb machines continually outwit us? LOL!

Glad to have you rock’n’rollin’ at the 10K ranch. Happy writing!

6. purplekangaroos
    June 22, 2011 | 9:46 AM

I’m preparing our first espresso, the sun is coming up over the trees, soon to explode on all our southeastern windows but it looks like the 90+ degree heat wave might have passed. So I may not have to spend extra time with fans and making everything in the house dark. I’m crossing my fingers – I have a lot planned for my 10K day.

See you all later and good writing day to everyone!

catherine

• @fearofwriting
      June 22, 2011 | 10:54 AM

Catherine – Glad to hear your heatwave calmed down some. I hope you’ll be comfortable today while you write. It can sure make a difference!

7. vicki lathom
    June 22, 2011 | 9:51 AM

Ok. I’ve done the first assignment. 612 words in 45 minutes. I’m breaking for ice coffee.
    Vicki

• @fearofwriting
      June 22, 2011 | 10:55 AM

Vicki ~ Welcome to your first 10K Day and congrats on posting the first word count of the day. That iced coffee sounds divine. Makes me want some.

• Lois
        June 22, 2011 | 12:09 PM

I’ve got some…and it’s cold brewed. 😉

June 22, 2011 | 12:13 PM

Lois – You’ve just reminded me – I’ve got a small French press I could use to make iced coffee. I’m suspecting that’s how you made yours?

• Lois
            June 22, 2011 | 12:28 PM

I have a large one and a small one. I used the large one and used about 3/4 cup of coffee and 3 cups of water. Just remember to use the 4:1 ratio, and you’re good to go.

I usually brew mine for about 12 hours, but you can do it in as little as 3-4.

The mixture is 2-3 times stronger than you’ll want to drink it, so dilute it with an equal amount of water to start. You can add more if you need to…and ice!

You can add cream or sugar, too, but I don’t usually add cream, and I never sweeten it. 🙂

Enjoy! 😀

June 22, 2011 | 12:31 PM

Lois – Thanks for tips on how to do it in the French press. And, I’m sorry, but I gotta drink it like the Aussies do, with milk or half-and-half, whipped cream and a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Needless to say, I probably won’t make it very often. ;~)

• Lois
                June 22, 2011 | 12:40 PM

LOL! I was just telling you how I drink it. 😉 I’ve heard you can even heat it up and drink it like regular coffee. It has less oils and acid than hot brewed coffee. 🙂

8. Kate Birch
    June 22, 2011 | 10:47 AM

Yay! I’m so excited to get started.

• @fearofwriting
      June 22, 2011 | 10:56 AM

Yabba dabba do! Have fun, Kate. 🙂

9. vicki lathom
    June 22, 2011 | 11:05 AM

I’m breaking again. Too fast out of the gate I think. Slowing down.
    Milli:I’m up to Sunday lunch and Ildica. For others, I’m new here and following an assignment from Milli.

• @fearofwriting
      June 22, 2011 | 11:21 AM

Wow, Vicki. That IS fast to be that far into the second assignment. Glad you’re on fire. But another break sounds like the ticket.

~ Milli

P.S. I can always write you another assignment if you ace both of them early. I’ve got the next one in mind, just need to put it into words.

10. Patti Larsen
    June 22, 2011 | 11:12 AM

Okay, had an interrupted morning now in the groove.
    2011 so far–working on the second book of a series that I LOVE and haven’t been able to write because I’ve had other projects–so happy to be back at it. Plus, think my publisher is going to green flag the first book so it will be nice to have the sequel to hand her…

Go 10,000!!!

and thank you for this, Milli. Shall be participating every month 🙂

• @fearofwriting
      June 22, 2011 | 11:22 AM

Patti – Welcome, and your writing day sounds like a feast. So glad you like the 10K Day and we’ll be very happy to have you join our crew of regulars. 🙂

11. j
    June 22, 2011 | 11:22 AM

I’m here. Mostly. The west coast lag is in full force. Getting coffee and getting started.

June 22, 2011 | 11:27 AM

j! Yay!

A few of the rest of us are on a lag today too so no worries.

Have fun and we’ll see you back on the check-in page during your first break. 🙂

xo

12. Milliver's Travels
    Twitter: millivrstravels
    June 22, 2011 | 11:25 AM

Got my journaling done, gave some feedback on an assignment and did my hostess comments.

(I reckon I get to count my replies as the FoW lady on the check-in page as part of my 10K words. I tried skipping that for a few months – to see if being more selfish about my own 10K time was a good thing – but attendance dropped off, so I’m happy to continue as hostess. :))

Now I’ve got my travel writer’s cowboy hat on again and I’m off to have some FUN!

13. Square-Peg Karen
    Twitter: SquarePegKaren
    June 22, 2011 | 11:44 AM

Checking in – with my green food smoothie at my side (for energy). But lest I give the impression that I’m a healthy writer (Milli – if you start an Unhealthy Writer section I’ll be your first guest poster – grin), I have a mocha latte next to the green food smoothie.

Kinda excited, but also kinda overwhelmed – I’m looking through 50 past Square-Peg interviews for material/categories in the project I’m working on…50 is a lot (just sayin).

I’m glad you’re hostessing, Milli – it adds to the accountability for me somehow…

June 22, 2011 | 11:53 AM

LOL! Don’t worry, no matter how many healthy posts we do espousing salads and whatnot, COFFEE WILL STILL BE KING. So you fit right in with your green food smoothie on the left and your mocha latte on the right. Perfecto.

50 does sounds like a lot! But good, juicy material to be overwhelmed by. I know it will fall into place for you. You just need time to digest. . . .

Thanks for what you said about the accountability. It helps me to know that my hostess comments do make a difference. 🙂

14. Lois
    June 22, 2011 | 12:17 PM

I’m here, though late. I’ve been, and still continue to, character journal with a friend. Our characters are commenting on each other’s entries and comments, and it is FUN! And I’ve got ideas for a new story, thanks to this, so I feel no guilt nor shame over it. 😉

That said, I have a summary to outline. I’ll be adding details, details, details! I might have to make some changes, as I’m waiting on input from a reader, but we shall see.

And I need to brainstorm ideas for this newest story (the one that’s a result of the character journaling with a friend).

I’m currently drinking unsweetened sun tea with the juice from three lime slices in it. Yummy. When I finish for the day, I’ll reward myself with a decaf breve (thanks for the post about this little bit o’ heaven, Milli)!

Oh! And I made that fruit salad again this week, only instead of grapes and oranges, I used fresh pineapple and coconut. The only things missing were mango and kiwi. Maybe next time. It was delish, anyway. 😀

Anyway, my goal for today isn’t to reach 10K, but rather to get as much work done as I can on the outline and the brainstorm, with character journaling thrown into the mix. 🙂

Good luck, everyone!

Lois

June 22, 2011 | 12:29 PM

Lois, what a fun and interesting update. Your character journaling buddy and you doing cross-pollination of ideas and comments does sound like a blast. And your plans for today sound meaty! (and salady ;))

OK, now you’ve got my coffee ears pricked up. Are you referring to my post on Milliver’s Travels called Espresso: The Art of the Perfect Breve? And did you try a breve because of what I wrote? If yes, I beg you to please leave a comment and spill the beans. (I don’t normally beg for blog comments but that post was one of my all-time favorite babies and I would LOVE to hear that I turned someone to the dark side with what I wrote – LOL!) Here’s the link if you get time:

• Lois
        June 22, 2011 | 12:39 PM

Meaty and salady. I like that! 😛

As for the article, I just commented. 😉

15. Patti Larsen
    June 22, 2011 | 12:37 PM

Not sure if I start a new comment or just keep attaching to my thread?

Present total at: 4518
    FIRE!!!

June 22, 2011 | 12:45 PM

Whoopee! Love the fire and the word count.

You are welcome to post however you like, but starting a new comment for a new check-in is probably the best way. That way others who are posting their latest news will see your results. And that helps everybody feel the momentum. 🙂

16. vicki lathom
    June 22, 2011 | 1:09 PM

I’m exiting stage left for doctor’s appointment. I got to 1700 word but, hey, maybe I’m taking this word count thing too seriously.

Maybe back later.

June 22, 2011 | 1:16 PM

Naw, don’t worry about word count. Everybody has their own pace. Plus the more you do the 10K Days, the more your word count rises as a natural byproduct. But that’s never our first consideration. Enjoyment is. 🙂

Good luck at the doctor’s. C U later, if you’re still in the mood to write when you get back.

17. purplekangaroos
    June 22, 2011 | 1:11 PM

Love all the comments! Great momentum today! Milli – thanks so much for hosting us.

I’m working on a couple different blogs – one guest post, one for my own blog which is frightfully behind. 🙁

until later…

catherine

June 22, 2011 | 1:19 PM

Yep, this is a humdinger today. All the warm bodies + writing + talk about coffee = a 10K doozy. 😀

Glad to hear you’re still here (that means the heatwave is not trumping you) and I love the sound of those blog posts. Ride them dawgies, Rawhide! (as Maria would say if she was with us today)

18. Patti Larsen
    June 22, 2011 | 1:52 PM

And… next chapter down… this is fantastic–I’m a fast writer anyway but love the added challenge to keep me going!

New total: 6586

Whoop! 🙂

19. Square-Peg Karen
    Twitter: SquarePegKaren
    June 22, 2011 | 2:09 PM

Sounds like everyone is riding those dawgies you mentioned, Milli!

Yea to all of us! And thanks for the iced tea idea, Vicki – coz what’s better than coffee on a humid day??? Answer: Iced coffee (which is Queen, if you’re ok with that, M! I prefer Queen to King, but whichever…just so long as coffee is treated like the royalty it is!).

Not sure of my word count, but I got a lot straightened out category wise in the project I was working on. And now am going to work on rewriting Square-Pegs About page (not more than a couple years overdue – sigh) — and, who knows? — if I’ve got energy and time enough later I may still play with some fiction like I threatened.

June 22, 2011 | 2:25 PM

Coffee is Queen works with me!

Great to hear about your progress. I’d say more only I’m starving and have been for about an hour – but I was hot on the trail of finishing and posting a new story for Milliver’s.

😀

20. Milliver's Travels
    Twitter: millivrstravels
    June 22, 2011 | 2:30 PM

I’M EXCITED!

Don’t know what my word count is so far but I just posted a new story on Milliver’s Travels that I had a blast writing, all about the time I got to swim with dolphins.

I’m making the move to monetize my blog and start to be a real, paid travel writer, so I’d appreciate any comments that folks have time to leave. I’m hoping to become an affiliate for a program that includes the dolphin park I just wrote about – and lots of comments will help convince them that Milliver’s is a happenin’ thang.

You’ll have heaps of fun reading it, I promise. 😀

Tip: To stay on this check-in page, right click on the link and choose Open in a New Tab:

Review: Swimming with Dolphins at Dolphin Discovery, Cozumel

21. Lois
    June 22, 2011 | 2:44 PM

I’m back! I’ve got about 904 words of summary, so far, and I’ve written information on two characters. I’m having fun coming up with ways for the villain to creep out the hero’s wifey! 🙂

June 22, 2011 | 2:53 PM

LOL! That does sound creepy-fun, Lois.

• Lois
        June 22, 2011 | 2:58 PM

Oh, it is! She just slipped into a nice bubble bath, and when she looked up, a masked face was watching her from the window. Yikes! 😛

22. Patti Larsen
    June 22, 2011 | 2:53 PM

I’m loving this book–LOVING. It’s going places I wanted with some added stuff for good measure–I missed my lead character’s voice and it amazes me how easily she slid back into my skin! Yay, motivation!

Now at 8504 but the experience is way more valuable than the word count.

🙂

June 22, 2011 | 2:58 PM

We here all agree on that, Patti. The experience does put the word count into the background, because it just feels so darn good. However, your word count IS way cool. And your lead character sliding right back in sounds so rewarding.

🙂

• j
      June 22, 2011 | 4:40 PM

This is my third 10k and I’ve never come anywhere near 10k, or 8504. You rock!

• Patti Larsen
        June 22, 2011 | 4:50 PM

Thanks, J! I write for a living so this is my day job–makes it easier! Still love the support of a group like this–see you Saturday!

23. Patti Larsen
    June 22, 2011 | 4:02 PM

And done. Thank you! See you Saturday! 🙂

June 22, 2011 | 4:14 PM

Congrats, Patti! Well done and chop-chop. See you Saturday!

~ Milli & the 10K crew, your new writing family 🙂

24. Square-Peg Karen
    Twitter: SquarePegKaren
    June 22, 2011 | 4:06 PM

Whew – is it really 4 already???

Taking a break – heading over to your dolphins and breve, Milli (yeah, i know they aren’t the same post) – I think I’m going to take my hands off the keyboard for a few before they stick there – argh.

June 22, 2011 | 4:12 PM

Sounds like you’re having a productive day, Karen. And like you *really* need a break. Sounds like you’ve earned it.

Actually, I would love to have dolphins and breve in the same experience. For me, that would be the ultimate high. 😀

25. j
    June 22, 2011 | 4:40 PM

Well, I took a longer break than I intended when a friend showed up at the coffee shop, but it was nice visiting with him. Now I’m back in the groove. (Thank you for the reminder to come back and say hi, Milli. It is nice knowing you’re all here with me.)

June 22, 2011 | 5:20 PM

j ~ Goody. I did wonder whether you were still out there. Thanks for the update.

Just realized I’m behind on reading your blog. Must go there tomorrow and find out what a Dichotomous j is. 😀

• j
        June 22, 2011 | 6:13 PM

You should. You’ll like her. 😉

26. Lois
    June 22, 2011 | 6:14 PM

Okay, I’m wrapping this up with only 1,345 words in my new brainstorm. I also managed a new short entry for my character, which is pretty cool…and it’s a prelude of things to come. Even though I didn’t get anywhere near 10K words, I’m happy with what I did write, and that’s what matters, yes? 🙂

To everyone still writing: have fun, stay loose, and enjoy the ride!

Lois

June 22, 2011 | 6:23 PM

Wonderful, Lois. A good, healthy brainstorm. What could be better? And, yep, it’s the journey that counts not the numbers.

And thanks for your peppy sign off. I’m still at it, I’m still having fun and I’m still hanging loose. 😀 I wouldn’t have a clue how many words have been written. As Brian put it, I’m Millivering. (That’s the creative zone where I forget to notice things . . . such as his new haircut. LOL!)

See you Saturday?

• Lois
        June 23, 2011 | 12:31 PM

If I can check in, I might. Friday and Saturday are Jeff’s weekend right now, so it depends on what we’re doing.

27. purplekangaroos
    June 22, 2011 | 7:13 PM

Hey Milliver ~ that’s funny about the Millivering! Recently my friend Lisa misspelled my name on an email as Cathering. It stuck and now that is what she calls me.
    I’m Cathering for another hour or two. It’s been a day of stops and starts, getting interrupted with friends stopping by. But I am feeling good about what I’m working on and that’s all that counts.

Looks like everyone is having a good day. Congrats to all.

catherine

June 22, 2011 | 7:20 PM

Hahaha! Cathering. I love it.

I’ve been having lots of (good) interruptions too but the writing’s still flowing along in between. Glad to know someone is still out there writing with me. 🙂

28. Patti Stafford
    Twitter: pattistafford
    June 22, 2011 | 7:56 PM

It looks like everyone had a great day! Yay!

I should be as close to normal as I ever get by Saturday, and since my awesome hubby now works on Saturday, so do I. So, I will try to participate then. 🙂

Okay, I’ve not tried a Breve, yet, but will. And I’ve never had cold brewed or iced coffee, but if my coffee gets cold I still drink it. Surely that’s similar? LOL.

My new addiction has become hazelnut creamer. And since I’ve cut sugar out, I still get a little sweetness from it. 🙂

Glad everyone had a great day! See you soon.
    ~Patti

June 22, 2011 | 8:02 PM

Patti, I hope by Saturday you feel like a sprightly fairy sipping hazelnut creamer from a thimble and saucer. Thanks for being with us in spirit (and comments) today. 🙂

xo

29. Square-Peg Karen
    Twitter: SquarePegKaren
    June 22, 2011 | 7:58 PM

Checking in to check out, I think. I’m still messing with words (and loving it) – had a little break in there talking w/my son (while tossing some vegetarian chilli together) but I’ve been writing most of the day…

going to go back to it for 15 min, but then must stop because the Phillies will be on tv – and I can’t miss my baseball!!!

So glad to see everyone’s check-ins – I love having this space. Thanks so much, Milli!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 22, 2011 | 8:04 PM

Enjoy the ballgame, Karen. And the chili. And you’re very welcome. I feel honored by having so many great regulars who love the 10K Days. To think it all started because I didn’t have a buddy for a 10K Day I wanted to do a few years back, so I decided to put it on the blog to see if anyone would show up and write with me. 😀 😀

30. Milliver's Travels
    Twitter: millivrstravels
    June 22, 2011 | 8:08 PM

I finished writing another story for Milliver’s. That’s only two stories for the day but I’m extremely happy and satisfied.

I’m starting to get dozy or woozy or something like that. Yeah, the words are starting to slur inside my head. I was going to write a third story, but I think I’m going to cheat and format a guest blogger submission instead.

And then Zzzzz…..

31. purple kangaroos
    June 22, 2011 | 8:33 PM

Wow this has been a great 10K day! I’ve enjoyed all the comments, camaraderie and hanging out with such loverly people while enjoying a writing day!

Great work everyone…

I’ll be back on Saturday! (~:

Hugs, catherine

32. j
    June 23, 2011 | 6:49 PM

I’m a little late getting back here, but I wanted to thank you, Milli, for hosting another great 10k day. I was able to finish a piece for Milliver’s Travels, and draft the next one; complete an essay for a writers site; work on a collection of personal essays and write about – what else? – LOVE for Zebra Sounds.

Love the 10k days!

June 23, 2011 | 7:56 PM

Yay! I’m pleased you had such a productive day. (and Milliver is pleased too ;~) What a great variety of stuff you worked on. Glad you enjoyed it so much.

See you here next month. 🙂

33. Kim Koning
    June 24, 2011 | 7:59 AM

Well it is Saturday, the 25th on my end of the planet already….so…..
    drum roll….cymbals….trumpets…
    Its 10K day!! No fear of writing here today… Getting the words on the blank page is going to banish all fears…
    Today I am going to be finishing my rewrite on my current WIP’s ending…
    See you all at the checkin points with a final toll in 24 hours…
    Any and all words mean VICTORY!
    Set your paces…get to the starting line..and…
    GO!

June 24, 2011 | 9:20 AM

Good morning, Kim,

I was curious about where you’re checking in from so I visited your About Me page. Wow. South Africa first and now New Zealand. Very cool.

I noticed that last month you shifted to full-time writing. Congratulations on that and it must feel good. Seems appropos you found the 10K Day not long after.

I love your rousing cry for victory. Enjoy working on your WIP!

June 24, 2011 | 6:43 PM

Right..well it is 10:42am on my end of the planet, Saturday 25th…checking in…
        Full breakfast – check
        Coffee – check
        Water – check
        Computer and fingers – check
        Will check in at lunch time with a word count.

June 24, 2011 | 6:54 PM

Have fun, Kim! 🙂

June 24, 2011 | 8:54 PM

2136 words so far…Taking a lunch break…This feels SO good!
          🙂

June 24, 2011 | 9:15 PM

Awesome, Kim! Glad to hear it’s feeling good. And thanks for warming up the Saturday session for us with 2136 words already. 😀

Enjoy your lunch. ~ Milli

P.S.If you don’t hear from anybody next time you check in, that means we’re all in bed. But I’ll be cheering for you in my dreams. 🙂

June 25, 2011 | 12:01 AM

Thanks Milli 🙂 Sweet dreams…

June 24, 2011 | 11:31 PM

5054 words down….Just over the half way mark….Steaming along. Love this. Doing it with a friend and cp over skype in word wars..keeps the momentum up.
            🙂
            Break time now…

June 25, 2011 | 12:04 AM

Yeehaw! 5054.

Mixing Skype with a 10K Day sounds fun. 😀

(Midnight here and I’m still surfing the Web. Better get to bed so I can wake up and write tomorrow. G’night.)

June 25, 2011 | 12:28 AM

Yes – head to bed so you can get lots of words tomorrow.
                🙂 See you in the morning.

June 25, 2011 | 2:04 AM

6684 down…Dinner break now…then back to it. Loving what I am getting down. These words are gold today. 🙂

June 25, 2011 | 5:31 AM

8077 words down…Just under 2000 left…I can see the finish line within site. These words today are truly gold. Everything is coming together. A glaring gap in my WIP’s climax has just unravelled itself…it is a beautiful thing.

June 25, 2011 | 6:52 AM

Done! 10,041 words down for the day. That was EPIC. Thank you to fearofwriting for a great challenge. I will be back next month. Good luck to all the other 10k’s for the day. May the words flow for you all.
                      🙂
                      Night all…

June 25, 2011 | 8:59 AM

Congratulations on busting 10K, Kim!!

Excited to hear it helped you find a gap in your climax too. It has been inspirational watching you proceed, and I’m pleased you want to return next month. I’ve got you on my list of people to tweet with the RSVP page when the time rolls around. (That way you won’t have to check for the dates all the time.)

Three Cheers ~ Milli

June 25, 2011 | 9:00 AM

BTW – Your pics of Jazz on your post called “My Animal Muse | Creative Creature | Furry Friend” are ADORABLE!

34. Roona
    June 25, 2011 | 3:13 AM

Ok…here goes…it’s around 12.45 PM Indian Standard Time and I am about to begin my 10K day hoping to finish the first draft of my article on my hometown…This is something I have wanted to do as well as have been struggling with…so lets see how I progress today!

June 25, 2011 | 3:15 AM

Good Luck Roona..

• Roona
        June 25, 2011 | 7:23 AM

Thanks Kim…I see later down that you made the 10K mark…Good for you!
        Roona

35. Estrella Azul
    June 25, 2011 | 5:19 AM

Okay, it’s just past noon here in Romania, and I’ll being my 10K day after finishing this comment.
    I foresee endless interruptions (and at the very moment I typed that in my phone rang…) but am looking forward to making this day as much about writing as I possibly can 🙂

Have a wonderful 10K day everyone!

June 25, 2011 | 5:33 AM

Good luck and good words Estella!
      🙂
      I am on the homeward stretch…just hit 8k…writing from New Zealand.

June 25, 2011 | 5:39 AM

Sorry meant to type Estrella…fingers are getting stiff 😀

• Estrella Azul
        June 25, 2011 | 5:40 AM

Thank you, Kim!
        Time zones are always fun to acknowledge in situations like this, sounds wonderful that you just hit 8K as I barely started my day 🙂
        Good luck and good words to you too, full speed ahead!

June 25, 2011 | 7:06 AM

Hope your writing is flowing Estrella. Just read your latest blog post and had to giggle! So true…
          Well I got to the finish line, made 10k so cheering you on!
          🙂

• Estrella Azul
            June 25, 2011 | 8:37 AM

Thanks, I’m glad you enjoyed my blog post!
            Congrats for hitting 10k, that’s great news 🙂
            And thanks for cheering me on, I’m barely around 2k. I’m taking a lunch break and then getting back to writing 🙂

36. Jenny Turner
    June 25, 2011 | 7:13 AM

Hello everyone! It’s 6:11 in the morning here and I’m just getting started. Today I’m working on some contest entries and getting some things together for a newsletter I edit. If all goes well today–maybe I can actually take a day off tomorrow! LOL 🙂

Okay, see y’all again at around 8am CST 🙂 Best of luck to everyone–I’m rooting for y’all to reach your personal goals!!

Warmly,
    Jenny:)

37. Patti Stafford
    Twitter: pattistafford
    June 25, 2011 | 7:20 AM

Good morning, afternoon, evening! It’s great to see all the time zones and meeting new people from all over.

It’s 6:20 am here in the south of MO. That’s CST or CDT–whichever one we’re on at the moment. Who can keep up? LOL

I don’t have my day lined out and not quite ready to start work, but wanted to give everyone a BIG welcome for today’s 10K!

Let’s kick some word arse! 🙂

Good luck!
    ~Patti

June 25, 2011 | 11:44 AM

Pattikins! You must be feeling better today. I can hear it in that arsy talk. LOL!

(Had to tweet that Patti-ism, it was too good to leave on the table.)

Glad you could join us and that must mean the Big K is at work today. Looking forward to hearing what you’re working on.

~ Milliverkins

38. Roona
    June 25, 2011 | 7:26 AM

Hi all…I am making scattered progress…just got back from a power nap break…good luck to everybody starting off and finishing up and anywhere in between!
    Roona

39. Maria
    June 25, 2011 | 8:16 AM

Good morning all!

It’s 7:10am CDT here in Arkansas’ River Valley area. I’ve been up since oh, 5:30 I believe. Had to get out early to start watering the garden. Whew!

At the moment, I’m sitting in my office with my Curious cat growling at our new kitten, Squeaker. She’s 8 1/2 and he’s 10wks old. They’ve actually started getting along better but he’s chased her in here in a corner and it didn’t go over well. Ah, youngsters. 🙂

I think my strategy for the day will be to work on drafting a few blog posts and/or working on a literature lesson plan project. Not sure on that one; will just have to see how the day goes.

Here’s to everyone having a fun and productive day! I’ll check back in around 9am CDT. Enjoy! 🙂

40. Estrella Azul
    June 25, 2011 | 8:42 AM

Good luck to everyone else joining this 10k day!

Right now I’m barely around 2k. Still only aiming towards as much as I can write without wanting to specifically hit 10k, and it’s hard to accept not having a set goal – think it will be easier this way though so I won’t be too hard on myself for not reaching the word count goal.
    I’ll be taking a lunch break now and then get back to writing 🙂

June 25, 2011 | 11:35 AM

Estrella, so fun to have you here and I agree about not being hard on yourself about a word count goal. That’s not allowed here. Only loving yourself for whatever you get written. 🙂

Enjoy your lunch . . . and I hope all those interruptions you were anticipating will straighten up and behave themselves. 😀

• Estrella Azul
        June 25, 2011 | 12:05 PM

Glad to report I had less interruptions than anticipated (though I ended up babysitting for an hour – the little boy is a cutie so I won’t consider the time wasted).
        The weather’s all rainy and chilly over here… think I’ll go take a hot shower and resume the writing jumping into bed under my warm blanket 🙂

June 25, 2011 | 12:14 PM

Awww. I love the sound of the little cutie you babysat. 🙂

Jumping under the warm blanket to write sounds yummy. Have fun!

41. Roona
    June 25, 2011 | 8:54 AM

I have done about 3K and I now I have to leave for something that was planned a while back! Although I am sad I couldn’t do more, I am also happy that I wrote so much. From where I stand, this feels like progress too!! Good luck to everyone, will check in later if possible…if not see you all at the next 10K day!
    Roona

June 25, 2011 | 11:31 AM

Roona, exciting results! I can relate to both feelings – “sad I couldn’t do more, also happy that I wrote so much.” That’s a good note to exit on and I’m thrilled to hear you want to return next month.

Glad you got to work on a story you’d been struggling with and make so much progress. Would love to hear more about it if you want to email me. 🙂

42. Milliver's Travels
    Twitter: millivrstravels
    June 25, 2011 | 9:05 AM

‘Morning, all.

Had a late night last night (my own fault ;)) so I’m just getting started. Coffee and journaling first, then I’ll fire up the old PC and write some blog posts.

43. Patti Larsen
    June 25, 2011 | 9:12 AM

Good morning (and evening to some–Hi Kim!! Congrats, girl!)… so happy to be back! I can see this becoming a routine… 😉

Everyone is off to a fantastic start–time to wind up and hit the keyboard. 10,000 here I come!

• Patti Larsen
      June 25, 2011 | 11:14 AM

and 2,506… time for lunch! 🙂

June 25, 2011 | 11:52 AM

Patti, fun to have you here twice this week and your check-ins and tweets are motivational!

Congrats on the 2,506 and we’ll see you after lunch.

~ Milli

P.S. If you ever feel like writing about Charlottetown for fun, I’d love to host you on my travel blog (http://milliverstravels.com).

• Patti Larsen
          June 25, 2011 | 1:54 PM

and 5,786…

Milli, I’d love to write an article about Charlottetown! patti(at)pattilarsen(dot)com
          Send me the deets! 🙂

• Patti Larsen
            June 25, 2011 | 3:42 PM

Just hit 7,433–two more chapters should put me over the top!

Side note, it is FREEZING here, stoopid weather, it’s almost July and we have as yet to see summer. I am most annoyed. Good writing fuel, this irritation… 😉

June 25, 2011 | 4:10 PM

Patti, sorry you’re freezing up there in the middle of summer. Bummer, hey?

7,433 is pretty dern exciting. And you’ll be a 20Ker this week before too long!

Thanks for your address. I’ll drop you a line about that guest post idea.

• Patti Larsen
                June 25, 2011 | 5:35 PM

And done! 🙂 Whew, that was fantastic!
                Can’t wait for next month! 🙂

(not sure if you need the numbers but the 22nd was 10,266 and today was 10,170)

YAY!!!

June 25, 2011 | 5:51 PM

Way cool, Patti!!! 20,436 in total.

I’ve got you on my list of people to tweet reminders to when next month’s 10K dates roll around.

Enjoy your evening. You deserve a big rest. 🙂

June 26, 2011 | 12:00 AM

Woohoo! Go Patti! You Rock! 20k for two days….Blistering with creativity there!
                  🙂

44. Jenny Turner
    June 25, 2011 | 9:25 AM

Checking in, now 🙂 I nearly completed the registration form and the conference agenda for WRWA. As soon as I’ve gone as far as I can with that, I’ll be buckling down on some short stories and pieces for the Jade Ring contest! 🙂

Okay, chocolate is on standby and I’m ready to fly! 🙂

Have an awesome time everyone!

Warmly,
    Jenny;)

June 25, 2011 | 11:37 AM

LOL! If I had any suspicions that this was an imposter Jenny-Bug posting 10K check-ins, I would know it was the real you when you mention choco-on-standby at 9:25 a.m.

Thrilled to have you back with us and your progress sounds marrrrrvelous, dahling.

Big Hugs from ~ Your Millikins

45. Maria
    June 25, 2011 | 10:07 AM

First check-in: I’ve started on my literature project and got a few ideas lined out but there’s a lot more to go. But I’m having fun. 🙂

Breakfast was Wheat Chex and a bottle of water. The garden watering is done and the cats are taking a nap. ;D Think I’m going to take a short break and jump in the shower to feel human again. Will check back around 11CDT.

Keep up the great work everyone! 🙂

June 25, 2011 | 11:47 AM

Maria, glad to hear you’re having fun working on your literature project. The cat naps sound tempting but I guess we better leave that to the cats. (At least they’re getting along better while they sleep, right?;))

BTW, I sang Rawhide to keep those dawgies moving on Wed and told everybody it was cuz you weren’t there to say it for us. 😀

• Maria
        June 25, 2011 | 12:02 PM

Lois said you’d made mention of Rawhide. Cool! 🙂

And yes, it’s magically quieter when all the kits and pups are sleeping. 🙂

46. Taryn Blake
    Twitter: tarynblake71
    June 25, 2011 | 10:23 AM

*waves to neighbor Maria* I’m in Central AR!

9:21 am and will get started on content for a website I’m working on as soon as I nuke water for chai, turn up the tunes, and do a quick review of my brainstorming.

This is my first attempt at a 10k. Honestly, I’ll be thrilled to death with myself if I can make half that.

• Maria
      June 25, 2011 | 10:35 AM

Just checked before diving back in…

Hi Taryn! 🙂 *waving back*

Your name sounds very familiar. Did you happen to go to UAFS or Tech? Anyway, I wish you well in your first 10K!

• Taryn Blake
        Twitter: tarynblake71
        June 25, 2011 | 1:50 PM

Thanks! (and no, I went to UCA.)

June 25, 2011 | 11:49 AM

Taryn, welcome to your first 10K Day and that’s a great attitude to have towards the word count. As long as you have fun and get some words down, it will be a knock-out day.

Enjoy your chai. Sounds yummy!

• Taryn Blake
        Twitter: tarynblake71
        June 25, 2011 | 1:51 PM

Thanks!

47. Maria
    June 25, 2011 | 12:07 PM

Okay, check-in #2…

Did some journaling that will be turned into a special project later on. Word count on that = 504 with some bonus material. 🙂

Someone mentioned lunch, didn’t they? 🙂 I’m gonna break for it and dive into a crispy crust Totinos supreme pizza with a coke for caffeine. When I get back to the computer, I think the next batch of writing will be on my photography blog.

(by the way, I’m using my downloaded Cool Timer to help keep myself on a writing schedule today and it’s helping)

I’ll check back around 1pm. Enjoy!

June 25, 2011 | 12:16 PM

Maria, cool update and the crispy crust pizza sounds yummo. I’ll check out that Cool Timer. Sounds intriguing.

48. Patti Stafford
    Twitter: pattistafford
    June 25, 2011 | 12:45 PM

Well I spent all morning journal writing. I had a lot to get out after the week I’ve had. No work related progress, as of yet, but I have been writing and thinking and writing. It’s all good. 🙂

Glad to see everyone is having a fabulous day! Woot! Woot!

49. Taryn Blake
    Twitter: tarynblake71
    June 25, 2011 | 1:05 PM

My morning has started slow, but I think I’m starting to get some momentum going. I’m at 1287 so far.

I started by turning my brainstorming into a list of topics in one document so I can just scroll up and down and follow the inspiration. Then I flipped a little farther into the notebook and filled in some details that I’d scribbled down over the last week or so.

Right now I’m working on a draft of a post about developing a daily checklist of delight and a daily checklist of doom.

Must check out this cool timer!

June 25, 2011 | 4:07 PM

Taryn – Congrats on the word count so far. Your post about a “daily checklist of delight and a daily checklist of doom” sounds like a treat! I haven’t found you on Twitter yet but if you tweet me when you post that I’d love to come read it.

I’m @fearofwriting if you want to follow.

• Taryn Blake
        Twitter: tarynblake71
        June 26, 2011 | 3:19 PM

I’m @tarynblake71 on Twitter.

50. Jenny Turner
    June 25, 2011 | 1:56 PM

All righty then! I finished what I could on the conference stuff–now it’s just wait to see how it goes over with the rest of the crowd and if I can fill all the panels and such by September! Lol 😉

Now I’m off to work on my contest entries. Hopefully I can pull together something for all eight categories. Wouldn’t that be awesome??

Chat to y’all later–and Milli–I’ve got chocolate for everyone! *Flings Chocolate Kisses to Everyone*

Warmly,
    Jenny:)

June 25, 2011 | 4:08 PM

*catches chocolate kisses like a bridesmaid going for the big prize*

😀