10K Day: Live, While It’s Happening! – April 25 or 28

Image Copyright © Tracy Mangold aka @InkyTwig. Thanks, Tracy!

WELCOME TO ALL those plucky writers who are participating this week!

This is the place to post your check-ins for Wed, April 25 and/or Saturday, April 28.

To learn more about this event, mouse over 10K Days in the blog menu above.

If you’re participating from overseas, feel free to start according to your own time zone. This check-in page is posted the evening before the event so you can. 🙂

DON’T FORGET TO TAKE REGULAR BREAKS!

You’ll regret it later (when you’re feeling fried) if you don’t take regular breaks. Even if you’re on fire with your writing, take your scheduled breaks.

Every two hours is recommended. Breaks are also for posting check-ins.

TIP: If you don’t see your comment right away after posting, try refreshing your screen.

1. You can mention your word count if you want to. If you’d rather not, please comment about your progress thus far.

DON’T FORGET TO log out of forums, Facebook, Twitter, email, etc.

Go gettum, Tigers! – Milli

———

RELATED TOPICS

Event Info & Suggested Prep (mouse over 10K Days in the menu above)

10K Day – tips

237 Responses to 10K Day: Live, While It’s Happening! – April 25 or 28
  1. Laura
    April 25, 2012 | 1:43 AM

Hi all!

I guess you could say I’m starting super, super early, but because of my crazy work schedule (I don’t actually arrive until 10) and massive homework that’s due for a college in another time zone (yay for online courses), my sleep schedule dictates that I’ll be awake for another two hours, so I figured I would get a head start on the day since I’ll be stuck at work during the daytime hours and won’t get as much done.

I’ve got the music on, the cat fed and sleeping (for now), and my brain wired. Good luck to all!

-Laura

April 25, 2012 | 8:34 AM

Laura, welcome, and kudos for fitting some writing into such a busy schedule!

2. Laura
    April 25, 2012 | 3:16 AM

And it’s time for bed, but I got 2,563 words written so far. Hopefully this drive will stick around during my breaks at work and into the evening when I get back home!

Good luck to everyone!

-Laura

April 25, 2012 | 8:36 AM

Yay for the 2,563 words!

Good luck with your next writing shift. We’ll look forward to seeing you back here. 🙂

~ Milli

3. Maria
    April 25, 2012 | 7:28 AM

Wow Laura! You did hit a groove. Awesome! 🙂

It’s almost 6:30am a little ways down the road from Laura here in AR and nearly time to wake up the kid for school. And let the dogs out. And start the laundry.

Ah the writer’s life. 😀

Today I’ll be working on a new short story that came to me one day last week while I was attempting to sleep. It’s called Searcher and is about a young lady somewhere in Appalachia who is the last resort to find missing people in the mountains.

For the first time, I have the story fairly well lined out in my head as well as on paper (maybe because it’s much shorter). So I have high hopes that this will be the first story I actually finish. 🙂

Well, that alarm is about to go off so I’m gonna get settled in. Good luck to all!

April 25, 2012 | 8:38 AM

Hi Maria,

Didn’t know you’d be joining us today. Bonus appearance! 😀

Your story sounds fascinating. I hope you’re enjoying working on that. Looking forward to hearing about your adventures with it.

4. Marilyn
    April 25, 2012 | 7:50 AM

Hi all, I was planning on going for it today. I have been doing Milli’s “Ace your 10K day” online workshop but I haven’t quite finished it yet. I shooting for Saturday but if I get through and find sometime between other things then I’ll try to get a few words in.

Good luck all.

April 25, 2012 | 8:39 AM

Hi Peache,

You’re on track for a great writing day on Saturday! Can’t wait to see how it unfolds for you.

Until then, see you in Moodle.

xoxo

5. JM Merchant
    Twitter: jmmerchant86
    April 25, 2012 | 8:32 AM

Good afternoon folks,

Really got to sort out this late start thing, especially when I’ve only got a short day today and Saturday due to work.

Working on character studies for my novel today, one of them took an interesting twist yesterday when one of my principle characters changed ethnicity on me. Weird how characters evolve eh?

Anyway, good luck to everyone, I’ve got an hour to write, and will try to check in when I finish work tonight.

Jo x

April 25, 2012 | 8:42 AM

Hi Jo,

It’s true; I did think you’d be the first one posting, because of being five hours ahead. What is the patten of the late start? Procrastination? Or busy doing other things?

Your character changed ethnicity? Such a deal! Can’t wait to hear how that goes.

xoxo

• JM Merchant
        Twitter: jmmerchant86
        April 25, 2012 | 8:51 AM

I don’t know what it is Milli. Prob doesn’t help that I’m stuck on pub shift body clock, so getting up before 10 is rare. But I have plenty of time off lately so should be tearing through this novel. It’s not happening, something’s still getting in the way. Gonna investigate my friends offer of hypotherapy next week, maybe that will get things moving.
        x

April 25, 2012 | 9:36 AM

Keep me posted, Jo. If there’s anything I can do to help, just sing out. xo

6. Fear of Writing
    April 25, 2012 | 8:45 AM

I’ve got my cappuccino, it’s a gorgeous sunny day outside my window and I’m about to kick off with some journaling.

Later gators. 🙂

7. Carole
    April 25, 2012 | 8:58 AM

Good Morning, Writing Champions!

I had a ‘so-so’ night’s sleep, but I dragged my sorry butt outta bed about an hour and a half ago and wrote my Morning Pages (a la Julia Cameron from The Artist’s Way) – 600 words down.

Off to have a light breakfast and then dive into some prompted free writing before tackling some of my memoir project.

Hope the writing goes well, all!

April 25, 2012 | 9:38 AM

Carole,

Sorry about the so-so night’s sleep. That’s always a bummer on the eve of a 10K Day. 🙁

But awesome on the Morning Pages 600 words! 😀

C U back on the page after breakfast.

8. Fear of Writing
    April 25, 2012 | 9:39 AM

Grrr. I hate it when I’m in a flow but then I get so hungry I have to go for my breakfast break sooner than I want to.

1,175 of journaling so far but still plenty more things I’m eager to write in that doc. Off to make some sunny-side-up eggs and toaster waffles.

9. Valeka
    April 25, 2012 | 10:06 AM

Hi, everyone!!! I have my hot tea and my breakfast tacos and I’m ready to go!!!! I finished my first draft of my novel last night (YAY ME!!!!) and I have a short story I’m going to work on with you guys today.

Hope everyone kicks some writing booty today!
    Hugs to all 🙂

~Valeka

April 25, 2012 | 10:10 AM

Wow, Valeka, you finished a novel last night? AWESOME!!

The short story sounds fun. Your reward for finishing the big book. 🙂

• Carole
      April 25, 2012 | 10:29 AM

Valeka, that’s such great news about finishing the first draft of your novel. Congratulations!

April 25, 2012 | 10:36 AM

Thank you, Carole!! I’m super duper excited 🙂 I overcame a big mental block 🙂

10. Valeka
    April 25, 2012 | 10:28 AM

I did finish it! It’s kinda stinky and rough around the edges but it’s done. It was a major hurdle that I jumped over. 🙂

• Dana
      Twitter: danapittman
      April 25, 2012 | 11:10 AM

Congrats!

April 25, 2012 | 11:27 AM

Thank you!!! 🙂

11. Dana
    Twitter: danapittman
    April 25, 2012 | 11:08 AM

Good morning! I’m planning to work this morning, break for some work, and finish off later this evening. Happy Writing!!!

April 25, 2012 | 11:28 AM

Good morning to you! Have a great writing day 🙂

• Dana
        Twitter: danapittman
        April 25, 2012 | 1:15 PM

You too.

April 25, 2012 | 11:29 AM

Yay. I didn’t have to use my Buzz-o-Router after all. Good girl!

😉

• Dana
        Twitter: danapittman
        April 25, 2012 | 1:14 PM

LOL!

12. Fear of Writing
    April 25, 2012 | 11:33 AM

3,023 and still journaling away. Uncovering bunches of good stuff so I’ll keep going on that for as long as it takes.

Feeling some brain drain now so taking a break to drink water, get some sunshine, etc.

13. Valeka
    April 25, 2012 | 12:09 PM

My 10KDay is off to a slower than hoped for start. But I’m not stopping! Any writing is better than none at all! How is everyone else doing?

14. Carole
    April 25, 2012 | 12:23 PM

Hi Gang, checking in.
    I had a productive morning with some wonderful discoveries made. Also have a chapter of my memoir written as well. I’m at 2,275 words so far…thinking of you all and hoping you’re enjoying your writing day as well.

April 25, 2012 | 12:29 PM

Carole! You are doing great! WOOOHOOO!! My writing day is off to a slow start but I’m plugging away 🙂

• Carole
        April 25, 2012 | 1:03 PM

I’m seriously impressed and inspired by you finishing the first draft of your novel, Valeka. So I’m using that as incentive to write, write, write…so thanks! 🙂

April 25, 2012 | 1:08 PM

Carole, you’re groovin’ away over there! Awesome about the chapter from your memoir. Makes me feel like saying to you what I just saw you saying to Maria. 😉

Ain’t that grand about Valeka’s novel?

Valeka, you said you got off to a slow start today but showing up with a finished novel means you ROCK! 🙂 You must be so excited!

April 25, 2012 | 2:47 PM

Thank you, Milli!!! I was VERY excited to finish my first draft. I had such a flood of emotions when I typed out “the end” yesterday. Now that it has finally sunk in, I realize that I did something pretty cool 🙂

April 25, 2012 | 2:40 PM

Awwwww, Carole! Thank you!! I’m pretty proud of myself and I’m glad I could give you a little inspiration! {{{HUGS}}}

15. Maria
    April 25, 2012 | 12:25 PM

I agree Valeka. I’ve only written 687 words so far today but they are carrying my story forward. And, I’m enjoying writing. That’s what counts, right? 🙂

In my story, my heroine is about to realize she’s on the right track to finding a missing person while he is on his fourth day of being injured and stuck down a mine shaft, getting ever closer to death…

April 25, 2012 | 12:32 PM

Good to know I’m not in the boat alone, Maria! I’ve written a little less than you have but half of it are notes to myself to go back and make changes! You are right – enjoying the writing is what counts! 🙂

Your story sounds like quite an interesting one! Can’t wait to hear more about it!

• Carole
      April 25, 2012 | 1:01 PM

Maria, if you keep leaving tantalizing teasers like that about your story, I’m going to be hounding you to finish and publish it to put me out of my misery! 😀

Sounds really good 🙂

16. Maria
    April 25, 2012 | 12:26 PM

Sounds like we’re all having an especially good writing day so far. Keep it up everyone! 🙂

April 25, 2012 | 4:56 PM

How’s it going? Hope your writing is going well!!

17. Laura
    April 25, 2012 | 12:33 PM

You know it’s going to be a good day at work when you get to throw a printer out a window. Apparently I threw my concentration out with it because my drive sputtered out when I saw down to write in between projects. I added on another 700 words to top out right over 3,200 so far. Hopefully I’ll be able to get my groove back.

If I can get the right (I originally typed write, good grief) music going, I can really get in stride. Anyone else listen to music while they type away?

-Laura

April 25, 2012 | 1:00 PM

Laura, congrats on the 3200 words! I think you’re doing marvelously, given that your schedule sounds like it would need two Dayrunners to keep it running. 🙂

• Laura
        April 25, 2012 | 1:05 PM

Thanks!

18. Lois
    April 25, 2012 | 12:42 PM

I’m late in getting here, but I’ve finally made it. That’s what’s important, right? My plan for today is just to work on some fiction. I’m winging it. I don’t have anything in particular I want to work on, so I’ll go through and see what I’ve got started and take it from there. I don’t have a word count goal. Just want to write.

But I need to get something to eat first, then I’ll kick word booty. 😉

Laura: Sometimes I listen to music when I write, but not as much as I used to. The music usually reflects what I’m writing, i.e. if I’m writing a western, I’ll have country music and/or American Indian music on. If I’m writing action/adventure, it’s rock and roll all the way. 🙂

~L

April 25, 2012 | 1:01 PM

Hi Lois!

Glad you made it here. Your plans sound wild and loose! Good deal. I know you’ll enjoy it.

xoxo

• Lois
        April 25, 2012 | 3:09 PM

Thanks, Milli! 😀 I just took one of my characters and started writing a story for him–from scratch. Wild and loose, yes–and fun! 😀

19. Fear of Writing
    April 25, 2012 | 12:59 PM

Went on a break where I drank some water, took a quick shower and then put down a towel in the backyard to lie on (so I could pretend I was on a beach getting a suntan).

Was lying there letting my mind drift when suddenly one of the things from my list today starting writing itself! Had to run back inside and start typing. It came out in one big long flow (1070 words) and it was over before I knew what hit me. Wow. The power of a little daydreaming, methinks.

April 25, 2012 | 1:02 PM

Daydreaming is a beautiful thing! Don’t ya love it when you get into that flow? It’s a great feeling!

April 25, 2012 | 1:04 PM

It sure took me by surprise! I was not even planning to work on that item from my list until much later today.

Strange, too, because as I went on my break I was thinking: “I wish I was better at daydreaming. Instead of being so good at worrying, etc.” Seems I got my wish instantaneously!

Hmm. Maybe I need to come up with a list of wishes…..

April 25, 2012 | 1:21 PM

Good approach! I sometimes make lists of things that I would like to write about and revisit it sometimes. That’s where my short story is coming from – a list of ideas I started about five years ago.

I’m a bit of a worrywart. I love writing outdoors. It gets my focus on more relaxing things and that always opens my brain 🙂

• Carole
      April 25, 2012 | 1:12 PM

How cool (or hot hot hot!) is that, Milli? I’m going by your excellent example and taking a more laid back approach to the day. Lo and behold, more writing flows easily. Makes me think of zee song:
      What a day for a daydream
      What a day for a daydreamin’ boy (or woman lol)
      And I’m lost in a daydream
      Dreamin ‘bout my bundle of joy…

20. Fear of Writing
    April 25, 2012 | 2:03 PM

I just have to post a feeling that’s bursting out of me: my writing today (and the whole writing life) is making me ecstatic!

I can’t remember the last time I felt it this much. I feel like I’m about to sprout little wings and launch into flight. I’m absolutely giddy with happiness and fun.

Yay for writing! Yay for being born a writer! Thank you my lucky stars for giving me that fate.

xoxo

April 25, 2012 | 2:36 PM

How positively wonderful, Milli!!! What a great feeling to have 🙂 I can FEEL your excitement!!!

April 25, 2012 | 2:43 PM

Thanks, Valeka! The feeling is about my writing as well as everybody who’s here today, bringing their wonderful contributions to this little community. Including your awesome news about finishing your novel last night. 🙂 xoxo

April 25, 2012 | 2:54 PM

I have to say – I love, love, looooove this community! Everyone is so encouraging and positive. 🙂 That is what helped me finish my novel last night – thinking about all the kind words and thoughts that I have received from everybody here, especially YOU, Milli!!! 🙂 XOXO

April 25, 2012 | 2:58 PM

Valeka, that puts tears in my eyes and a song in my heart. To think that the 10K day energy spilled over to you like that when the day hadn’t even started yet . . . well, that just makes my YEAR!

I’m so glad you have joined our community. You definitely bring your own special heart-filled vibes (as well as fun) whenever you show up. And thank you for all the RTs on Twitter for blog posts and the 10K announcements.

April 25, 2012 | 3:12 PM

I’m very proud to be a part of such a great group of people 🙂 That’s why I retweet blog posts/announcements as much as I do. I really believe in this community and everyone in it 🙂

• Carole
      April 25, 2012 | 2:52 PM

So, so happy for you, Milli. For the first time in a very long time, I too have had moments of genuine joy today (quite a liberating surprise resulting in pretty good productivity despite thinking I’d be distracted by quite a bit of stress here at home lately). I’m definitely feeling all that wondrous energy you’re sending out. Thanks! xo

April 25, 2012 | 3:01 PM

Geez, two posts in a row that are making me feel weepy (in the best sorta way). I think I might start balling when you say you’re feeling some joy while writing today. Egad, my heart is going to burst if I don’t look out! 🙂 xoxo

P.S. I read your comment three times it was so good.

• Dana
      Twitter: danapittman
      April 25, 2012 | 3:08 PM

Your energy is contagious. :o)

21. Valeka
    April 25, 2012 | 2:38 PM

My afternoon check in time! I’m at 2792 between two projects I’m working on. The thoughts are very slow moving today but I’m gonna keep going!

April 25, 2012 | 2:45 PM

Valeka, I think that word count is positively HERCULEAN after finishing the first draft of your novel only last night! I totally think that’s why you’re moving slower today. But 2792 ain’t nothing to sneeze at either!

• Carole
        April 25, 2012 | 2:53 PM

I completely agree with Milli, Valeka. I can’t get over how much you’ve/you’re accomplishing!

April 25, 2012 | 2:56 PM

I’m surprising myself, too! I have a lot of lost time to make up for 🙂

• Carole
            April 25, 2012 | 3:05 PM

I have a lot of lost time to make up for too, but trying not to lament it too, too much and just get on with it already. These 10k days really help 😀

Hope you’re going to celebrate your huge milestone, Valeka.

April 25, 2012 | 3:16 PM

I agree – these 10K days are wonderful! And it helps that I never feel like I’m writing alone 🙂

As far as celebrating, I have no clue what I’m gonna do! I should do SOMETHING though 🙂

April 25, 2012 | 2:56 PM

Finishing the draft just made me want to write more!! I kept thinking “next challenge, please”! I’m abuzz with excitement 🙂

April 25, 2012 | 3:03 PM

Now I’m truly going to sob, I think. I LOVE what you posted here! I’m so excited for you. What a fantastic feeling, of wanting to write more, more, more. And feeling abuzz with excitement! Me too!

22. Fear of Writing
    April 25, 2012 | 2:48 PM

I’m on 5512 and it’s been flowing out of me like a river. Even though that feels good, I’m going to stop for a longer break. Next session I’ll be starting on the hardest thing from my list – much more left-brained than my writing so far today. Gonna give my brain cells some extra nourishment (some yummy reading) and maybe make another cappuccino before I come back.

April 25, 2012 | 2:59 PM

OOOhhhh, a cappuccino sounds delicious!!!! I am going to take a wee bit of a break myself 🙂

23. Carole
    April 25, 2012 | 3:09 PM

Well, I’m hitting a bit of a wall here at 3,125 words (sheesh, is that all? Feels like more LOL).

Anyhoo, going to go do a workout, shower and see if that doesn’t revive me to pound out more 🙂

April 25, 2012 | 3:13 PM

Hooray for 3,125 + joy of writing.

(I grew up seeing my mom using the cookbook Joy of Cooking. We should write a book called Joy of Writing. :))

I reckon a good break will have you reinspired and re-energized by the time you’ve worked out and had a shower.

24. Dana
    Twitter: danapittman
    April 25, 2012 | 3:10 PM

I’m writing…quite slow if I may add. Sigh… I’m almost at 1k. Why do I announce “I’m writing today” and all heck breaks loose? I will write anyway. They’ll have to wait. 😉

April 25, 2012 | 3:14 PM

Keep on going, Dana! Any writing is better than no writing at all! That heck that is breaking loose is a test to see how badly you want to write 🙂 You can do it!

• Dana
        Twitter: danapittman
        April 25, 2012 | 4:30 PM

I did…and made some progress on my book. Yeah! Thanks.

April 25, 2012 | 4:31 PM

~.~.~.~ Doing the happy dance for you, Dana! ~.~.~.~

April 25, 2012 | 3:14 PM

Awww, hugs! I’m sorry all heck broke loose. I hope it unsnarls itself soon. Maybe if you ignore the heck while you write it will fix itself. 🙂

Yay for the 1K, yay for the 1K! Goooooo, Dana!

• Dana
        Twitter: danapittman
        April 25, 2012 | 4:32 PM

I plan to invoke my superpower of being invisible. All they’ll see is my fingers moving across the keyboard. 🙂

April 25, 2012 | 4:35 PM

I love it! The Mystery Typist!

Brian calls me The Mad Typist, so we can be twins. LOL!

25. Lois
    April 25, 2012 | 3:25 PM

Just checking in before I go take a shower to wake myself up!

I’m currently at 2,458 words.

I opened up one of my character files and decided to write a possible version of his background, since I haven’t really had much of a chance to think about it. He’s a star high school football quarterback who loves the game more than anything–even more than girls. Along comes a real knockout of a girl, and she finds him attractive and interesting–and she loves the game!

I’m not sure where this is going yet, but that’s part of the fun with some of my stories–discovering it as I go. I know there will be some kind of danger, and a death. Otherwise, I’m not sure how this will turn out. My characters are speaking to me as I write, telling me how things happened. I’m just along for the ride. 🙂

~L

April 25, 2012 | 4:33 PM

Lois, that sounds like fun! Also quite a bit different from the kinds of characters you normally write about? I don’t usually imagine you writing about football players. LOL! But it’s so liberating to write about anything you want to. (Or, should I say, anything those characters wanna make you write. ;))

• Lois
        April 25, 2012 | 4:45 PM

It is fun, Milli! 😀 But he won’t always be a football player. That chapter in his life will close by the end of this, even though right now, he wants it more than anything.

And you’re right. I don’t normally write about football players. My thing is futbol (soccer)! 😀

~L

April 25, 2012 | 4:47 PM

It’ll be fun to hear what he becomes. Knowing you it could be something supernatural. Or something exotic. 😉

April 25, 2012 | 4:53 PM

Keep up the great work, Lois!!! Can’t wait to hear more about what happens to your characters 🙂

• Lois
        April 25, 2012 | 4:55 PM

Thanks, Valeka! 😀 I really love my characters, as Milli will tell you. I try to go all out in creating them and learning their stories. 🙂

April 25, 2012 | 6:06 PM

Sounds fabulous! Some of our characters can be our best friends and some can be our frenemies! I guess it depends on where they decide to venture 🙂

• Lois
            April 25, 2012 | 8:27 PM

That is so true. 🙂

26. Lois
    April 25, 2012 | 4:53 PM

Could be. 😉 As happens, the story is an alternate universe type of thing. The world is earth, but there are only slight changes from our own world. I know what he will become, but that’s a good fifteen years or so into the future. Right now, I’m writing his backstory, and I’m loving every minute of it. 🙂

April 25, 2012 | 4:59 PM

LOL! I just knew it would be something waaay beyond a football player who loves the game when a beautiful woman shows up who also loves it. Doesn’t surprise me in the least that you’ve got an alternate universe in there, waiting for his future self. 😀

• Lois
        April 25, 2012 | 5:08 PM

Haha! I’m still trying to figure out all the logistics, but for now, I want to concentrate on backstories so I know where the characters are coming from. 🙂

27. Laura
    April 25, 2012 | 5:37 PM

Just checking in for the afternoon. I’m right at 4,400 words, which is pretty good considering what a crazy day we’ve had at work and the fact that I had a mini-freak out when I discovered I’m about seven scenes away from actually finishing my book. Once I got it all outlined out, I was more than ready to write, but I needed lunch and had multiple issues that had to be dealt with.

Now that most everyone is gone for the day, I’ve found the most perfect music possible for what I’m writing, and I’ve plowed through my data sheets and am actually ahead, I plan on using the last two and a half hours of work to focus more on the writing in between data sheets instead of playing games on my iPhone to give my brain a break.

April 25, 2012 | 5:46 PM

Laura! AWESOME!

4,400 words? During a crazy work day? You da (wo)man!

😀

How incredibly exciting to be only seven scenes away from finishing your book. And how wonderful that you can write at work in between data sheets. And that most everyone has gone home. Sounds poifeck!

Best of luck with that outline. Will be looking forward to your further updates.

~ Milli

• Laura
        April 25, 2012 | 5:50 PM

Thanks! I almost always write at work, but it’s normally just to 100 word sprints every two hours, just to keep brain sharp and to get away from the monotony. It’s been different writing in every spare moment I have!

I can already tell a difference between today and other solo 10K days I’ve done. The words are coming easier and it’s awesome seeing everyone else’s writing counts. I might have to do this a lot more often!

April 25, 2012 | 5:52 PM

Too excellent, Laura! I love hearing the details of how doing a 10K day in the company of others (especially this fun and supportive crew) is feeling different for you. We’d looove to have you join us more often!

• Carole
        April 25, 2012 | 6:05 PM

Laura, that sounds so great that you’re only seven scenes away from finishing your book! It’s great that you can switch from job to writing like you do and get ‘er done. Kudos.

• Laura
          April 25, 2012 | 6:11 PM

Thanks! It’s no big deal to Alt + Tab to Scrivener right over from Excel and type about a hundred words when I can, but doing a thousand is a whole ‘nother story.

And congrats on your word count as well!

28. Fear of Writing
    April 25, 2012 | 5:50 PM

I’m on 6,314. Still writing, but with less flow. Still feels good, just patchy.

I finally started the hardest thing on my list. It’s not really “hard”—just more left-brained than the other fun or creative writing I’ve done today.

OK, back to it. I’ve had a bunch of longish breaks and now it’s time to hunker down and go for 10.

April 25, 2012 | 6:08 PM

You are still going strong, Milli! I stalled out but keep checking in to see how everyone else is doing. I may revisit the group later and try to write a little bit more 🙂

April 25, 2012 | 6:22 PM

Hi Valeka,

It’s nice to have you checking on us. 🙂

Sometimes a longer break, plus doing something purposely very restful or refreshing, can put you back in the game. But maybe you’re just *done* after all that writing yesterday and then again today.

Whichever way it is for you, I sure love having you around! xo

• Valeka Cruz
          April 25, 2012 | 8:49 PM

Sounds like everyone has had a great day of writing!! Sooo happy for each of you!! I hope to do better on the May 10K day!!

April 25, 2012 | 8:51 PM

Haha! Well, you ain’t no slouch, lady. Finishing your novel like that. Hey, if you counted your words from yesterday, you’ve probably aced the 10K day, right?

• Valeka Cruz
              April 25, 2012 | 8:56 PM

Hadn’t thought about the word count! I bet you’re right! I’m pretty happy with what I did today too. It was a good start on a new project 🙂

April 25, 2012 | 8:59 PM

This morning you mentioned it as a short story. Is that what it turned out to be?

April 25, 2012 | 9:12 PM

I worked on two things this morning. One was the beginnings of a short story and the second is writing some basic blurbs for a children’s book I am thinking about writing. The children’s book is a little love note to my first niece/nephew that is going to be born in September. 🙂

April 25, 2012 | 9:14 PM

OMG! That’s so precious about your love note to the unborn child! Please-please-please write that book!

April 25, 2012 | 9:19 PM

I do plan to write it! It’s very near and dear to my heart. The idea for it came to me as soon as my brother and sister-in-law told me that they were expecting. 🙂

29. Fear of Writing
    April 25, 2012 | 6:32 PM

Still creeping along in the sixes. 6703.

I know I’m going so slow now because I need protein. Brian’s got a chicken pasta dish almost ready. I always get a second or third wind after dinner on 10K days. And I’m still enjoying the writing, so I’ll be back.

C U all in a while.

xoxo

30. Laura
    April 25, 2012 | 7:01 PM

Passed 6,400 and I’m going to take a break. Leaving work a bit early and then comes dinner, homework, and laundry. I finished at a good spot and I always write better in the evening anyway. Hoping the time away will give me the boost to cross the 10K finish line! Thanks to all the encouragement!

April 25, 2012 | 7:05 PM

WOWZA, Laura! Your fingers must blur on the keyboard! Incredible how you can write that much while you’re at work. 6,400 is smokin’!

Good luck with dinner, homework, and laundry. I’ll be here until late so you’ll have at least one other writer for company when you come back this evening. 🙂

31. Dana
    Twitter: danapittman
    April 25, 2012 | 7:10 PM

I hit a sweet spot. I’m a bit over 7k. I plan to write more tonight.

April 25, 2012 | 7:11 PM

Even though I’m jealous (:D) HOORAY for hitting your sweet spot!! You rock AND roll!

See you back here later just like you promised, OK? I can still use my Buzz-o-Rouster, ya know.

• Carole
      April 25, 2012 | 7:26 PM

Dana, that’s fantastic!

32. Carole
    April 25, 2012 | 7:24 PM

Hiya,
    Well, I’m quite pleased with the writing I’ve done today(even if I’m only at 5,385)and really needing a break, so I’m making supper. Not sure if I’ll do more, but I’ve left my laptop open and notes on the table. If I still feel up to it, I’ll give it one last push before calling it a night.

Whew, Milli, I don’t know how you do it! LOL xo

April 25, 2012 | 7:30 PM

Whaddaya mean, “only” 5,385? That’s an AWESOME word count, woman! 😀

I always feel better after some brain food (dinner) on a 10K day. It’ll be fun to have you with us if you decide to come back. (Sounds hopeful, with that open laptop and notes whispering “Carole, come play with us . . .”)

• Valeka Cruz
      April 25, 2012 | 8:52 PM

Carole you did awesome!!! I bet your notes will coax you back for a little more writing tonight!!

33. Carole
    April 25, 2012 | 9:55 PM

Ahh, got to 6,670 and now I’m done LOL. The last bit, 1,280 words, was all done…blindfolded 😀 I read a post online a while back about the writer’s great experience with this method and thought I’d try it since my eyes were tired.It was fun!

Thanks for the encouragement Milli and Valeka. You guys were both right how my notes did indeed coax me back for one last hurrah for zee day. ‘Night, ‘night xo

April 25, 2012 | 9:58 PM

6,670!! WHOO HOO. Let’s party!!

SO GLAD you came back and what a fun idea about the blindfold! Maybe I should try that for my final session (I can relate to the tired eyes).

I hope you sleep like a baby doll tonight, Carole. You certainly deserve to! 🙂 🙂

34. Fear of Writing
    April 25, 2012 | 10:03 PM

I’m on 8,437.

The last 2,123 words have been a bit of a slog. It was for the last two sections of an online course that I’ve been working on for several weeks now. I really had to stick with it—there are students needing these new sections tomorrow, so there was no getting out of it.

SO PLEASED to be done! I feel a sense of accomplishment for finishing.

Going to drink some water and read for a while. And then (maybe) try one more session. I feel the need to end on some fun(ner) writing.

35. Laura
    April 25, 2012 | 11:00 PM

I’m settling in to really plow through and finish up. Had a surprise visit from some family friends when I got home which led to much scrambling around and cleaning before they got here, so that put my plans off for about an hour, which threw my entire night off.

Now, I’m settled in with some tea with Fiona Joy Hawkins playing the background and ready to go!

April 25, 2012 | 11:17 PM

Laura, glad you made it back! I admire you for recovering so quickly from a surprise visit. 🙂

Took a long shower and washed my hair and now I feel human again. I’ve got 1,563 words to go to make it to 10K (and something fun that I really want to write) so I’m planning to go for it.

Nice to have a writing companion this late in the day! Best of luck with finishing those seven scenes.

• Laura
        April 25, 2012 | 11:42 PM

Thanks!

I always write better when the sun goes down or even if it’s just a rainy, cloudy day. I need to move to Washington State or Maine.

Good luck on finishing that last 1,500 words!

April 25, 2012 | 11:44 PM

You’d love it here in Ohio, then. Lots of gray, gloomy skies. 🙂

• Laura
            April 25, 2012 | 11:50 PM

I have family that lives in Ohio! I’ve only visited once, but it was sunny the entire time I was there. I was informed this was definitely not normal, but it was a break from the very, very hot and humid Arkansas.

April 25, 2012 | 11:56 PM

Which part of Ohio?

• Laura
                April 26, 2012 | 12:00 AM

Uh…the east side? I know that helps not at all, but I’ll have to look at a map sometime. They live within driving distance of Akron and Cleveland. I don’t know the exact part. It either starts with a W or a C.

April 26, 2012 | 12:20 AM

OMG! That sounds right near us. We’re in Youngstown (suburb: Boardman), about 80 miles south of Cleveland and roughly an hour from Akron. Let me know if you think of the place name. Wouldn’t that be a trip if you’ve visited almost right where I live?

• Laura
                    April 26, 2012 | 12:26 AM

Thanks to Facebook, aka Stalkerbook, I was able to look up my cousin’s hometown.

Does Wadsworth sound familiar?

April 26, 2012 | 12:33 AM

It’s the other side of Akron from us. Exactly one hour and 11 minutes drive from here, according to Google maps. Wow. That’s freaky-close! (I’m a transplant to Ohio and I barely know anyone else, among my family and friends, who’s ever been here.)

36. Laura
    April 25, 2012 | 11:39 PM

Current word count is at 8,195. I’m currently doing a happy dance because my novel just passed 100,000 words overall and I’m down to five scenes left to write. So close to the end I can taste it!

37. Laura
    April 26, 2012 | 12:48 AM

Whoo! Official last check in! 10,041 words with twelve minutes to spare. I’ll still keep writing and hope to finish up this scene in an hour.

Thanks to all who offered encouragement and thanks to Milli for hosting! I hope to see you Saturday, but I have no idea if my plans involve family coming in or not. I’ll be writing regardless, it just may not be a 10K day.

April 26, 2012 | 1:03 AM

Huge congrats on the 10,041 words, Laura! I’m still totally in awe you wrote that much on a work day!!

Good luck finishing your scene tonight. And if you do write on Saturday, pop in to say hello. Or just write with us! We’d love to have you.

April 26, 2012 | 9:55 AM

Laura,

It’s the morning after. Didn’t get much sleep last night. Don’t know about you but I’m tired, mostly canceled out by happy. 🙂

Did you have to go to work today? What time did you have to get there by?

And how many more scenes left now before you finish your book?

• Laura
        April 26, 2012 | 10:18 AM

Hey Milli,

I’m tired, but that’s typical when I get less than twelve hours of sleep. 😛

I do have to go to work, but Thursdays are either really busy or really light, and today is one of the light days. This means I can hide away in my office for most of the day and focus on making sure instant in track for my work this week. I don’t have to be there for another hour, so that’s nice.

I added a scene last night so that the transition between two chapters didn’t feel so rocky, so I have four scenes left, including the one I started last night that I’m thinking is going to be double the length I thought it would be.

• Laura
        April 26, 2012 | 10:19 AM

Ugh, my iPhone. Autocorrect hates me. I have No dies how I am got changed to instant.

• Laura
        April 26, 2012 | 10:20 AM

No dies? I give up.

38. Fear of Writing
    April 26, 2012 | 12:56 AM

Coming right behind you, Laura, with 10,104 words. It’s actually 12:55 here in Ohio and hubby say that’s cheating. I told him it’s *my* 10K day. 😉

• Laura
      April 26, 2012 | 12:58 AM

It’s still April 25th *here*, so that counts to me.

39. Laura
    April 28, 2012 | 1:40 AM

Hello all!

Here I am for another 10K day, although I don’t know if I’ll hit 10K because of the weather (if it’s beautiful, I’ll be outside on the deck–if it’s bad, I’ll be outside chasing), family supposedly visiting, and the fact that I might, just might, finish my book before 10K is done.

Oh here I go. I’m having another “I’m writing a book” moment. I really have to stop having these. People look at me like I’m insane, even though the only person in my room at the moment is my cat.

Writing some words for the next few hours before heading to bed. Sleeping in tomorrow, so I need the biggest head start I can muster!

Good luck to everyone and happy weekend!

-Laura

April 28, 2012 | 8:28 AM

Hi Laura!

Be sure to come back and let us know how you went. Can’t wait to hear your news.

~ Milli

40. Estrella Azul
    April 28, 2012 | 4:19 AM

Hey all!
    It’s 11:18 here and I’m just starting my 10K Day now.

The weather is gorgeous, so I might give writing in the yard a try during my first break (it’d take too long now and in case the laptop screen won’t be visible outside it would just be lost writing time.) If it works out, the next update will be from there 🙂

Happy writing everyone!

41. Estrella Azul
    April 28, 2012 | 5:40 AM

Not a completely good start as I slept in (woke up in the middle of the night and couldn’t fall back asleep for hours), but I’m now at 656 words and half way through a travel article. The hard part is over now as I had some thoughts to translate – that’s what kept me from working on this article sooner.
    I can’t wait to add the pictures during one of my breaks later on. Or better yet, tomorrow.

• Estrella Azul
      April 28, 2012 | 5:56 AM

PS: Just took my laptop out in the back yard and am now writing from the garden bench swing 🙂

April 28, 2012 | 8:33 AM

Estrella,

I know how you feel. I didn’t have a good night last night either. 🙁 But at least I slept well the night before the Wed 10K.

That’s marvelous about being outside writing in the garden bench swing. I’m jealous! Here it’s a rainy, gloomy day. (By the way, I’ll want to see a pic of that garden bench swing. With you writing in it would be the most fun.)

Thrilled to hear you got to break through that translation block for your travel article!

xoxo

• Estrella Azul
          April 28, 2012 | 8:41 AM

I just moved into the kitchen with all my stuff, it’s too sunny by now and I was starting to boil (plus my pants are black) 😉

I’m taking a break for lunch and get back a bit later.

April 28, 2012 | 8:42 AM

Oh, good. Wouldn’t want your blood to boil before you can finish those travel articles for MT. 😉

• Estrella Azul
              April 28, 2012 | 8:44 AM

Forgot to mention that I’m at 1723+ words (not finished with one blog post yet, so I’m not counting that one). And the first travel article is done 🙂

April 28, 2012 | 8:46 AM

Awesome on the 1723+ words and one finished article! Suddenly, I feel more awake. Finally starting to feel some motivation. Thanks!

42. Marilyn
    April 28, 2012 | 8:00 AM

Hi all, it’s 7:00am here. Late start for me but have all my chores done. Down to business.

Good luck Estrella and everyone else. She and I have taken the Ace Your 10K Day course and so this is the first 10K day for us after finishing the course. Let’s see how it goes.

Marilyn

April 28, 2012 | 8:34 AM

Good Morning, Peache,

It always gives me a warm glow to see your name on this page. I’m looking forward to hearing your first check-in after some writing. Esp. since I know the spirit of Mikey dog is with ya!

xoxo

43. Fear of Writing
    April 28, 2012 | 8:37 AM

Still waking up after not the best night’s sleep. I’ve got my cappuccino in hand – made by my coffee slave and now he’s sulking bcuz he has to drink his alone. (Those darn online writers are always hogging his Milli. ;))

Gonna start with some journaling until I get my brain in gear. And then I’ve got an assignment feedback to write for a student in the Fear of Writing Online Course.

44. Marilyn
    April 28, 2012 | 9:15 AM

Whew, first little break. I’m only at 1512 or so, not sure exactly as I have been writing on my horse blog and a tiny in the course coffee shop. But trying to be conservative on the count.

Wish I had a coffee salve as I am low. Just a quick mind rest and back to my horse story I started.

I have a candle burning for the spirit of Mikey Dog and one for Pat his brother.

April 28, 2012 | 9:28 AM

Haha! You wrote coffee salve! Perfect! Maybe we should develop a coffee salve to smear on our skin whenever we can’t get the beverage. It should go straight to our bloodstream that way. 😀

Congrats on the 1,512 words. No need to be conservative. The only thing you can’t really count is emails and your check-ins here. Everything else is fair game.

P.S. Don’t forget to use the News Forum for your 10K news. I’ll move your post over from the coffeehouse for you so you can join Estrella in the newsroom. 🙂

45. Marilyn
    April 28, 2012 | 9:37 AM

Salve!! Ha, I’m trying really hard to write and not want to correct my spelling! When I see it written incorrectly I just can’t help myself I have to correct it. Trying not to worry so much. I’ll take my coffee in liquid form, it taste too good and I’d much rather have a coffee Slave.

My mate is up so I’ll have a nice breakfast and back in a few.

April 28, 2012 | 10:56 AM

*giggle* Loved your coffee salve/slave joke in the News Forum.

Sounds like lots of good progress on the horsey-love writing. 🙂

April 28, 2012 | 11:55 AM

10K writing friend alert:

46. Fear of Writing
    April 28, 2012 | 9:56 AM

1,401 of journaling and the brain is starting to feel a teeny bit warmed up.

Starving now so I’m getting the breakfast show on the road. Biscuits will take 25 minutes to bake so I’ll start on the student feedback while those are in the oven.

47. Estrella Azul
    April 28, 2012 | 10:16 AM

I have a total 2402 words so far. Pretty good given that I slept in, (ended up having to visit the Chef’s mom at the hospital), am still sleepy and quite tired overall.

April 28, 2012 | 10:36 AM

Since I think I’m feeling the same as you (zombie-ish from not enough sleep) 2,402 sounds really good! Especially since you worked on your two “hardest” things first. xo

• Estrella Azul
        April 28, 2012 | 10:49 AM

That’s not good *zombie-ish hugs*

I’m at 2788 words by now. And I posted my progress on the Course page, you can look at that once it shows up 🙂

April 28, 2012 | 10:54 AM

Yippee on the 2788! I’m hitting the Cron job button as we speak. (Moodle is still playing up and I have to hand-generate the emails from the forums.) Can’t wait to read your report!

April 28, 2012 | 10:55 AM

Wow! You’ve knocked a heap of stuff off your list! Go, Estrella!!

April 28, 2012 | 11:25 AM

10K Day friend alert: Dana has joined us if you want to say Hello next time you’re on the check-in page.

48. Dana
    Twitter: danapittman
    April 28, 2012 | 10:54 AM

Good morning! I will pop in and out. I’m my daughter’s chauffeur today. I plan to write pen to paper. Happy Writing!

April 28, 2012 | 10:58 AM

She lives! Hooray for Dana joining us (when she can) today. Chauffeur to daughter on a Saturday is a highly demanding job. 😀

Have fun with all that pen-to-paper writin’. Yee-haw!

49. Fear of Writing
    April 28, 2012 | 11:24 AM

I’m on 2,351 now. Still $#@%& tired, but at least I’ve found my flow.

Got the student feedback finished. Must desperately get more coffee now (those darn cappuccinos I insist on drinking are lots of prep – but so worth it).

After that I’ll have to eyeball my list to see what I can deal with next. Forcing myself to work on a blog post looks like my only option, whichever way I squint at the page. Not really in the mood for blogging, but I guess I’ll just hafta be.

50. Marilyn
    April 28, 2012 | 11:46 AM

Whew, I need another break. I am now at 3522. I like to be at or around 5000 by lunch time. Don’t know if I’m going to make that one today. But I’m having fun writing about horses for a change of pace.

April 28, 2012 | 11:57 AM